An Open Letter To The Person Who Is No Longer My Best Friend

Thank you for being the person in that season of my life.

1095
Her Campus

Some people come into our lives for various reasons, and some of those are good reasons. But for some, it's just a passing through.

I once had a best friend, and we would do everything together. When she came to town, we would always hang out. We went shopping together, we went out to eat together, and ultimately we shared our secrets with one another. But things changed, and now we no longer speak at all, not even text/call or social media. So here's my letter to her:

Dear Former Best Friend,

Life is good, I'm still finishing school. I hope you're doing well and that you're getting to do everything you've ever wanted. I hope you get to go back and finish in school what you set out to do. I wish I could tell you how much I do miss you, but you probably don't care. If you did, we probably would still be friends. Sometimes I hope that you think of and miss me like I think of and miss you. You've been through so much, and even if it doesn't seem like it to you, I'm very proud of you and inspired by how much you've been through and overcome. Yes, I've gotten mad at you for nonsense things, but I just wish I were able to apologize to you because I don't want the very last memory of us to be something bad happening.

It's been a few weeks since we talked last, and it's crazy to think that. I never thought this would happen, where we would end our friendship for good. In the past I know we've had periods where we had no contact at all, and that was just for a couple of weeks, but it's been longer than that. So much has happened and I've wanted to pick up the phone to call and tell you, but I know you wouldn't answer. It sucks because you're no longer the person who I call and tell stuff to and who I can share my secrets with. Nevertheless, I'm still trying to figure myself out in life: Who I am, where I'm going, and what I want to do.

Even though we are no longer friends, part of me wants to hate you but I just can't do that. I can't bring myself to do it. I've tried and it's impossible. I did hurt when we went our separate ways, but just know that I still love you. You were a big part of me, and now that space is empty.

But I do want to thank you. Thank you for being my go to person. Thank you for staying up hours just so we could talk about everything that was going on, even if it was just girl problems or talking about guys. Thank you for never judging me because of my quirky personality. Thank you for never basing your opinion of me on what anyone said.Thank you for accepting me for the person I was. Thank you especially to your family for always inviting me over and opening up their home. Thank you for all the times you've came and picked me up since I didn't have my own way of going. We've shared many laughs, shed many tears from laughing, and shed many tears when we cried over something we were deeply upset about. But ultimately you were one of the people I could talk to about anything and you would still love me. And again thank you....thanks for being my person for that season of my life.

Sometimes, I re-read our old conversations and smile. I reminisce on all the fun we had together. We laughed, we cried, we laughed some more, and we cried some more. We never had a dull moment in our friendship. Anytime I see something that I think you'll like, I want to tell you about it or send it to you, but I know you no longer want to communicate with me.

Everyone has a different path in life, and it just so happened we both are now on separate paths going different directions. Just know I do still love you, and if you were to pick up the phone and call me, I would definitely listen. Because part of me still hopes that someday we'll reconnect and it'll be like we never left off. Even if we never speak again, I'm glad and thankful that I did get to call you one of my best friends. Because you've changed me in many ways, and I hope to be as strong as you've been.

Sincerely,

Your ex-best friend

From Your Site Articles