An Open Letter To The Ones Who Walk Away

It's you walking, not me.

262
Shelly Aspenson

One last thing before you go,

I never imagined a time where our lives would part ways, especially in a voluntary fashion. We used to be the two they’d always see together. The inseparable. The lifelong, forever. But that’s not how it is anymore.

Things change. A lot of things change and people change. Choices are made and consequences do follow. Priorities are set and the things and people that matter to someone become apparent. Once you’re cut from the list it’s only a matter of time before they start the walk away from you. And before you know it, they are gone.

I don’t know how exactly we got to this point but we’re here now. There was never really a goodbye. It looked more like trying to leave a party without anyone noticing you go. But the problem is that I value you so much. I’ve got too much of my attention involved in you, so I notice every move you make in the direction towards the door. I’m standing right here just watching you go.

I’m not going to fight for you anymore because I’ve already tried too many times. Stupid of me really, to think you would veer off the road you chose to travel down. The decision was made and it was only a matter of time until you were gone.

And I’m not faultless, but I’m not the one walking away either.

I know someday you’ll wake up and miss me and realize you walked away from a friend who cared more about you than anything else. You disregarded the person who would willingly do anything in the world for you. I am far from flawless but I cared about you and loved you as much as I possibly could. You chose to leave it and there’s nothing I can do about that.

Even though you left me here, I’ll never leave you in a place where you won’t be able to find me. Don’t expect me to wait on you, but if you ever come to your senses, you’ll know where I’ll be.

Goodbye from Your Faithful Friend

P.S. I hope the road you chose to travel leads you to whatever it is I couldn’t help you find. Good luck.