An Open Letter To The High School Senior Going To ASU's Downtown Phoenix Campus

Here are a few things I wish I knew when I was a freshman at Arizona State University.

145
A photo of ASU Cronkite School students, August 2013.
Samantha Incorvaia

Congratulations! High school is in the past, and there's a whole new future in store at college. It's such an exciting time, but it can be a bit overwhelming at first. Even though I graduated from Arizona State University a few years ago, the feelings that come with being a college freshman remain the same. I want to tell you a few things I learned while I was studying at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication.

What's the campus like in downtown Phoenix?

I loved how tight-knight the community was. All of your classes and Taylor Place (the freshman dorms) are within five minutes of each other. The Sun Devil Fitness complex is only a couple blocks away if you want to get a workout in between your classes. And there's always something to do whether the events are hosted by ASU or not.

There are plenty of things to do nearby

Coming from someone who lived in Arizona, I didn't know Phoenix had such a deep local culture. Every first Friday of the month, downtown Phoenix hosts a First Friday event in which local artists, musicians, and restaurants can showcase their work to the city. Shoppers can also find what they need at this event or every Saturday morning at the Phoenix Farmers Market (only a couple of minutes away from the dorms).

A photo of The Young Wild at Crescent Ballroom in downtown Phoenix, 2014.Students can see a concert at Crescent Ballroom in downtown Phoenix. In this photo, The Young Wild perform at Crescent Ballroom in downtown Phoenix, 2014.Samantha Incorvaia

Music lovers can find arena-filled concerts and small indie groups throughout downtown Phoenix. Sports fans can visit the Diamondbacks' Chase Field or the Suns' and Mercury's stadium.

Best places to eat

There are so many fantastic places to eat near campus, and many of them offer student discounts so never forget your Sun Devil card! Phoenix Public Market has a little bit of everything (I love the pulled pork sandwich). Pomo is my favorite pizza spot, but maybe you'll love Arizona's famous Pizzeria Bianco. There are lots of great Asian cuisine restaurants nearby like Thai Basil, China Chili (about a 10-minute drive north from campus), and Rice Paper. But when it comes to British fare, I love Cornish Pasty.

Best places for a drink

Likely, you're not 21 yet. BUT here are some bar recommendations to keep in mind for that responsible 21st birthday party. Even if you can't go for a drink, the food is also solid. Valley Bar is a small underground dive bar that has a not-so-secret private room that guests try to steal from each other often. In the mood for a movie while you enjoy refreshments? Check out Filmbar which shows classic movies, hosts screening events, and more. In the mood for an arcade game? Check out Cobra Arcade Bar. But one of my personal favorites is The Duce, which allows all ages into the venue. They play campy songs like "Dancing Queen," but I'm here for it. And I have a lot of great memories of going there with my college friends. If you don't like these ideas, you'll find plenty of places for a nighttime hangout within walking distance of campus.

Best school spirit events to attend in person

ASU hosts many fun homecoming events across all its campuses, but my favorite is the Homecoming Dance at downtown Phoenix's campus. During my freshman year, my friends and I took the '20s theme very seriously and got dressed up.

Two college students dress up for a 20s-themed dance.My friend and I are ready for ASU's Homecoming Dance. We took the 20s theme very seriously.Samantha Incorvaia

Prepare for the dry heat and monsoons

Arizona's weather can be a bit unpredictable during the summer. In the morning it's extremely hot, dry, and sunny. But by nighttime, a dust storm (or as locals call it, a haboob or monsoon) can roll in and block your gorgeous view from your dorm. A student's interest –or lack thereof– with the phenomenon is a true test of "are they a local student or out of state?" Hey, at least the winters are beautiful with daytime temperatures hitting 70 to 80 degrees.

A small inside joke...

My friends and I thought ASU's mascot Sparky looked like a creepy version of Walt Disney. But according to this article from the campus news organization called The State Press, the thought isn't that far-fetched. Apparently, he was originally drawn by former Disney employee Berkeley "Berk" Anthony.

So what are you waiting for?

Now that you're armed with some semi-exclusive knowledge, show the world what you're made of. Have fun, and make good choices!

Reach out to Samantha Incorvaia on Twitter at @_SamI520.