I Just Want You To Be Happy

I Just Want You To Be Happy

An open letter to the friend who can't let go of a toxic relationship.

4779
I Just Want You To Be Happy

Hey you! You know I love you, right? I hope you know that I just want what is best for you. I want you to be happy. I want you to live your best life, and to be your best self. I love you no matter what, but I know that you can be so much better than the person you have allowed yourself to become. You have allowed a guy, whom you have known for four months, to completely destroy you as a person. I know you are stubborn and I know that you love him. But like I have been telling you every single day, you need to let go.

I have watched you fall in love over and over again, and I know how easily you get attached. I knew this guy was different the moment everything started happening. You started doing things that were so out of character for you, and I was scared to say the least. You made mistake after mistake, and I felt like I needed to babysit you or teach you right from wrong, to be quite honest. Eventually, one thing after another kept happening. Things weren't adding up with this guy, and I knew something was off about him. Every time you talked, I could see you getting more and more upset about the relationship. Every time something happened between you two, you would come to me for advice. I was always happy to help you, but you've always been too stubborn to accept help, no matter how much you needed it.

I know how hard it is to let go of someone you love, especially after going through so much with them. I know what it is like to think you have a soulmate, only for it to turn out that he does not feel the same way about you. I know how it feels to compromise your morals for someone you love, just to have it be for nothing. I know what it is like to feel alone, and for it to seem like you have no one to talk to. I know how important it is to feel loved sometimes, so I understand why you craved his attention so much. I know how much this situation sucked for you, both longing for love and needing someone to vent to about this relationship.

Please understand that I am not saying this to be rude, or to discourage your relationship. I want you to be happy. This guy is not your happiness. You cannot base your future around him and what he wants, especially after he hurt you. You are worth so much more than someone who does not give you his best self. You are worth so much more than someone who makes you miserable, and makes you feel like crap. I promise that one day you will find your Prince Charming. You will get your fairy tale ending with a gorgeous wedding and beautiful children. Be patient — there is someone out there for you. But I need you to let go of the person who does not love you.