An Open Letter To The Friend Feeling Left Out...You Will Find Your Place
Travel

It may not feel like it now, but eventually you will find the people that make you happy.

1173

When I first came to college, I was most excited to make new friends, people that I could make new memories with for the next four years of my life. The first couple of weeks of school I met many new people. I made a bunch of new friends, all of them with their own unique and lovable personalities. I even thought I had found a group I belonged in.

But as the semester went by, I started to feel myself beginning to be isolated. Trips to the dining hall were being made without me, and I stopped receiving invites to the movie nights. I would try and tag along if I could, but I still couldn't help feeling like I wasn't wanted there.

I immediately began thinking I had done something. Did I say something mean? Did I do something to upset them? I couldn't stop thinking about it. I then decided to do the adult thing and ask if there was something that was wrong. Maybe it was just a misunderstanding in communication.

When I finally mustered up the courage to ask them, they responded back with, "We're not mad at you. We just feel like our personalities don't go well together."

At first, I was kind of hurt. I had finally thought I had found a group, only to be pushed away because they didn't like my personality. But then I started thinking… why would I want to be friends with a group of people like that?

I began spending more time with my other friends and got even closer with them. They started inviting me to dinner and to different events around campus. I began to feel like I had found my place again.

As I look back, I wonder why I spent so much time with people who never seemed to want me there. The entire time, I could have been spending time with the people who wanted me around. From here on forward, I plan to only surround myself with the people who make me feel happy.

So, to the person out there who feels like the forgotten friend, get out there and start looking for new ones. Wasting your time and energy on people who don't want to be with you won't get you anywhere. Invest your time into finding new people. You will find your place with the right friends.

And as for me...

GIF Credit: weheartit.com