An Open Letter To The Best Friend I Don't Talk To As Often As I Should

We've been best friends for what feels like forever, but we've grown apart. I miss being close to you.

65
Danielle McCord

I miss you. A lot. And I miss how close we used to be.

Besides the obvious answer of “7th grade in middle school”, how did we even meet? Were we in the same prime time class? Because I feel like we were. Or maybe it was strictly our English class with the teacher that no one liked who could never get my name right.

Speaking of English class, that was the class that we became very close in I believe. It was you, me, and Christie and we had as much fun as we could. Our Twilight obsession became very real in that class and it was always interesting, because the three of us are very interesting people, but mostly you.

We created lots of inside jokes in middle school and I know for a fact that neither of us remember most of them. I have a notebook somewhere at home where we wrote a bunch of inside jokes on the back cover, but I look at it now and can’t figure out what some of them were.

Somehow in the spring semester of 8th grade, you convinced me to sign up for choir for freshman year of high school. It was one of the best things you could have ever done. Choir wound up being one of my favorite classes, so much so that I’m still in choir in college.

That one year when we were in the same choir was a lot of fun, and full of many adventures. That was the year that we went to Washington D.C. on the choir trip. Do you remember that one museum we went to in D.C. where my shoes set off the alarm at security? It was so nerve-wracking to me at the time, but it’s funny looking back at it. And there was also that play that we saw called “Shear Madness” that was quite entertaining! I don’t think our choir directors realized how much bad language would be in it, but it was still a great show. I don’t remember much about it, but it was a great show none-the-less!

That spring semester freshman year we had those group ensembles that Mr. Bryson had assigned to us and I remember we decided to meet at my church to practice one night. One of the girls in our ensemble was an atheist I believe, and the only reason I remember that is because she thought she was going to be burned alive or something for stepping into the church. It was so hard for the members of our small ensemble to find my church because at the time there was no sign stating what it was, nor did it even look like a church. As our good friend, Maria, had put it, it looked like a bomb shelter at the time. We didn’t do too bad with that ensemble, though I don’t think the music was too incredibly difficult.

As our high school years went on we didn’t have choir together anymore because we ended up being in different choirs the next three years. We did have chemistry together sophomore year which was probably my best science class that I had in high school. After that, I can’t recall having any classes together, but we typically would have lunch together at least every other day!

We’ve grown apart a bit, but it’s great knowing that I can message you whenever and it’ll be like no time has passed. Once I’m really home for the summer, we should hang out more, because we never really did that.

I love you, and I miss you. And I’m glad I can call you one of my best friends.