An Open Letter To My Older Siblings

An Open Letter To My Older Siblings

Siblings are the first friends you have as a child even though you might not always get along.

66
An Open Letter To My Older Siblings

Siblings are the first friends you have as a child even though you might not always get along. You fight, you argue but no matter what, there is no love like the love between siblings. You share a special bond that you could never have with anyone else. You don't have to talk to them everyday to know that they are some of your biggest supporters.

To my older siblings,

"Everything that I am, you helped me to be" -Anonymous

First off, you guys are alright.

Honestly though, you are both amazing.

Throughout my entire life, I have always looked up to both of you. Despite how much we fought and argued, you were some of my biggest role models. It's different for me because I'm the youngest so, I had both of you to look up to, which was cool. You two helped shape me into the person I am today and I will forever be grateful for that.

Neither of you had any problem putting me in my place when I stepped out of line so thank you, I know I could be hard to handle sometimes.

To my brother,

"Only a brother can love like a father, annoy like a sister, care like a mother and support like a friend." -Anonymous

Shit, you drive me crazy sometimes. That's okay because I know the rest of the time, I drive you crazy.

Not all teachers need a degree.

You taught me so many valuable lessons that I carry with me each and every day. You taught me that we don't always get what we want and that's okay. You taught me how to be tough and how to stick up for myself. You taught me how I should be treated by men by how you treat the woman in your life. You taught me not to care what others think of me and to always be myself. You taught me that not everything is always fair but that's life. Lastly, you taught me that life is better when you don't take it so seriously.

Thank you.

Thank you for being my superhero. Thank you for lifting me up when I'm down. For always telling me how it is without sugarcoating it. For helping me with everything (literally everything). For always giving the best advice. For being there for me whenever I need you, especially when it seemed like no one else was. For making the best fried egg sandwiches. For being a good listener and letting me vent to you endlessly. For being a shoulder to cry on. For telling me how proud of me you are. For being just as excited (or more) for me when I am excited about something. Most importantly, for being the most protective, kindest, and funniest older brother a girl could have.

To my sister,

"I smile because you're my sister, I laugh because there's nothing you can do about it." -Anonymous

Let's just start with, damn, we sure have come a long way over the past few years.

Not all sisters always get along.

Our relationship was probably somewhere around 80/20. 80% of the time we didn't get along and 20% of the time we got along for a solid five minutes. Looking back on it, it all just seems so incredibly stupid. Were we ever really fighting about anything of any importance? No, of course not. We bickered about the littlest things for what seemed like hours. The main reason we argued was because we are both stubborn and strong minded people whose options and views are not easily altered by other people. Surprisingly though, this actually taught me a lot about life. It taught me how to stick up for myself, how to stay true to what I believe in and when to let the argument go because in retrospect, it doesn't even matter.

Thank you.

Thank you for pushing me to my limits. Thank you for teaching me how to stand on my own. For showing me that I can do whatever I set my mind to. For being there for me whenever I needed you even though we weren't always as close as we are now. For toughening me up, I'm pretty sure mom and dad had no idea how many brawls we actually got into. For showing me how to forgive and how to put the past in the past. Lastly, for being the most inspiring, most supportive and toughest older sister a girl could have.

I love you both,

I have no idea where I would be in this life if I didn't have either of you. I love both of you to the end of the world and I hope that someday I can be at least half the people that you guys are.