An Open Letter To My Twin On Our Birthday

Happy birthday, Sister, I hope you like your present.

2682
Mackenzie Brown

Dear Sister,

On Jan. 1, 1994 you were the first baby girl born in Rutherford County which is pretty cool. Two minutes after that you became a big sister-- and you're a good one most of the time. 23 years later you've become a strong, independent, and determined woman. I'm so glad I've got to be along for the ride since the very beginning.

In case you didn't already know, you are my biggest blessing. God knew that I needed you for this life because I'm not sure I would have made it this far on my own. You know me better than anyone else, and you still love me, you are my best friend, and definitely my other half. We are equally awesome as individuals but as a unit, we are just great.

I know here lately I haven't been as supportive as usual, but I hope you know that I always have your back, that I will always care about what's going on in your life, and most importantly that I always want the best for you and try to help you get it. Even though you don't really need my help because you are so determined and hard working that you can do anything you set your mind to.

Again, I've been slacking on this, but whenever you need a pep talk I got you. You should know that I will never be more than a call away whenever you need me. I mean, I think you already understand that based on my call log but I have to make sure you know this. I may not always have the words you need to hear but I will always have the love you need to receive.

You are the person I enjoy spending most of my time with. I love our lifestyle -- although I have to admit we need to branch out-- there is nothing better than coming home from work and talking, then watching our favorite tv shows. We have so much fun doing literally nothing. You are, hands down, the best roommate ever. Even though you really boil my blood sometimes, and don't worry I know it's mutual, I wouldn't want to live with anyone else. What makes that OK is the fact that we can be best friends again in under 30 minutes post fight. You can pretty much get away with anything because I know I need you in my life.

You really are my best friend and I wouldn't change that for anything. I hope you know that you aren't just important to me but to our friends as well. Here are some things people love about you and want you to know on your birthday.

"I love Micaela because she always speaks her mind and stands up for what she believes. Plus she's funny and gives great hugs." - Katie Canipe

"Micaela you make me so happy! You give off such good energy and are a great person all around! I love you so much and wish you a very happy birthday!" - Crystal Posey

"I love Micaela because she is loyal: she doesn't change her bahaviors depending on the different crowds she's socialized with. She is unapologetic and comfortable being herself, and doesn't mind speaking her mind. She's dilligent, works hard, and doesn't mind juggling multiple tasks to get shit done. She's loving; always quick to tell me why she appreciates me or just text or call to tell me that she loves me or misses me." - Josaphe Vance

I could go on and on about how awesome you are and how I can't imagine life without, but I think you already know all of this and I don't want to get too mushy here. So happy birthday, I love you and I hope you enjoy your surprise.