An Open Letter To My Sober Boyfriend

An Open Letter To My Sober Boyfriend

23233
An Open Letter To My Sober Boyfriend

Congratulations, babe! You did it. It's been a year since you made the decision to turn your life around and I can only imagine how hard it was for you to give up what was once a huge part of your life; drugs and alcohol.

I know life is not easy. It’s not easy if you are a drug addict, or even if you are not an addict. In this life, only the strong survive. And I don't mean physical strength, it is more about mental strength. In recovery, you need to have the will to survive and the mental strength to make it just one more day.

Although I wasn't in your life when you were taking part in those activities, I've been by your side since your move to Florida and I have got to say, you are one of the most inspiring people I have ever come across. Your determination and perseverance towards your recovery and your battle against addiction is inspiring in more ways than one. I can only strive to have the determination and attitude that you have today.

When you first told me you were in recovery and two months clean, I wasn't really sure what to say or how to react. I had known other addicts before I met you, but none of them had made it past month three. I was nervous and confused. I didn't know much about recovery or addiction. What was I supposed to say? What if you relapsed? How would I find the words to help you through this life changing process? Could I even handle it?

Well, it's been a exactly a year and I have learned a lot about you, recovery, and addiction. I am so thankful and honored that you were open with me about your past and asked me to be a part of your recovery process. I learn a lot at the meetings and LOVE seeing you walk up to get your chip!

You're now a year sober and I have seen you grow so much just by watching you go from month-two clean to month-twelve clean. I am so proud of you. You have encountered a lot of stressful, hard situations this year and the fact that you stayed clean during them all shows a lot. Your drive to stay sober is what I find the most inspiring. Many people don't make it to month six of sobriety, and here you are one year later, stronger and cleaner than ever.

You've been through a lot and your journey has been long, but you have the mental strength one needs to beat addiction. I trust and have faith that you will continue to live a long, happy, sober life and I could not be any happier with your progress and successes than I am today. I am so very proud of you and I am eager to see you continue to help others the way others have helped you.

Thank you for the inspiration and motivation you leave me with after every date. You've been a blessing to my family and I; and I can't stress enough how important you are to me. Congratulations again on making it to a year of sobriety, I love you and know you will continue to do great things. Keep up the great work and stay strong in your battle of beating addiction, as I trust you will.