An Open Letter To My Private High School

11
Mapio.net

Dear –––––,

You attacked me, teased me, and tortured me. You piled essay upon essay, exam upon exam, and tear upon tear. You left me overwhelmed, lonely, embarrassed, and ashamed. But still, I come back.

You forced me to walk, speak, and dress a certain way. You told me that I could not just survive; I must thrive. You showed me that my best wasn't good enough. But still, I come back.

You made me nearly tear my friendships and family apart. You made me worry about my appearance more than my character. You poked and prodded me until I did not feel like myself. But still, I come back.

You taunted me until I cried in frustration. You tricked me until I could believe no more. You suffocated me until I could no longer breath.

But still, I come back.

You unhinged my mind. You flooded my eyes. You twisted my spine. But, still I come back.

I finished your essays. I won your games. I took your tests.

I got my grades. I painted my paintings. I scored my goals.

I attended your events. I smiled for your photos. I performed for your shows.

I fell in love. I carved my plaque. I walked in white.

You pushed, and I pulled. You punched, and I blocked. You shot, and I bled. But you pushed until I could push back. You punched until I could hit back harder. You shot until I had the armor to bleed no more.

That is why I come back.

Thank you,

–––––––