An Open Letter to My Parents as I Leave for College

A thank you letter to my parents for shaping me into the person I have become as I begin the next chapter of my life.

191

As college move-in day approaches, the reality of packing up your childhood bedroom and leaving your family finally sets in. It's a time of mixed emotions ranging from excitement to nervousness. The thought of leaving your hometown can be overwhelming, but with the right support system, the transition can be a breeze. As a child growing up, you don't realize how much your parents guide you, until it's time for you to leave and guide yourself onto a new path. The reason I am where I am right now, is all thanks to my parents. Therefore, I want to take a moment to thank them for their tremendous amount of love and support throughout the years. It is because of them that I am ready to expand my horizons and begin the next chapter of my life.

Thank you for supporting me.

It feels like just yesterday that we checked the mailbox together every day as the college acceptance letters started rolling in. I know that you probably would have liked me to stay home for college, but you also gave me the option to leave, which opened new doors. If it weren't for you guys bringing me on countless campus tours all over New York State, making the decision of where my next 4 years would take me would have been 10 times more difficult. It is because of your extreme support that I was able to find the perfect university to call my new home. I chose the University at Albany because it I know it will expose me to a great new deal of opportunities that this world has to offer; which I wouldn't be able to explore if it weren't for your option for me to leave. I know it couldn't have been easy for you to drop your little girl off at a new "home," but you never let your sadness show. You always wanted to me to be happy no matter what, even if that meant leaving a piece of your heart in Albany, and for that, I thank you.

Thank you for giving me a brother.

Even though we may not get a long all the time, he is one of the most important people in my life. Trying to talk to new people and adjusting to college life has been a little difficult, but having someone that I can talk to about it almost everyday that is around my age has made a huge impact. To be honest, it feels weird going from hanging out with him every day to only talking to him through a tiny screen on my laptop. But even through that screen, he never fails to make me laugh, which makes me feel like I'm right back at home with you guys. By giving me a brother you have given me a friend for life, and for that, I thank you.

Thank you for teaching me.

In this crazy, evolving world that we live in, I find myself putting the lessons you taught me as a child into practice within my daily interactions. I have gained so much knowledge from you guys that I will cherish for the rest of my life. There are so many examples that I could give, but the main ones that really stuck with me were that I should always stand up for myself and what I believe in, and to never settle for anything less than I deserve. Dad, you always treated me like a princess and showed me how a man should properly treat a woman. Mom, you showed me that I will always have someone backing me in my corner no matter the circumstances, and that I can do anything that I put my mind to. You taught me how to be an independent woman in a world that I will soon conquer, and for that, I thank you.

Thank you for guiding me.

From a little girl to a college freshman, you guys have helped me navigate through this roller coaster that we call life. It is because of you guys that I am able to distinguish the right decision from the wrong one. You both always give the best advice, which helps steer me in the right direction when I feel like i'm going down the wrong path. Seeing you guys guide not only me but my brother as well, onto the right path has shaped me into a better person. I understand that I will make mistakes because I am not perfect, which is quite all right, and for that, I thank you.

Finally, thank you for loving me.

I know that I can be stubborn and have an attitude on my bad days. I understand that it's frustrating for you guys when I do the exact opposite of whatever you tell me to do. But regardless of my flaws, you love me unconditionally. I truly am forever thankful for all that you do for me. You love me for who I am, and for that, I thank you.

Love,

Your Daughter

Related Articles Around the Web