An Open Letter to My Big Sister

An Open Letter to My Big Sister

We've fought, screamed, cried, and loved, but hey, it's what we do.

115
Julia Qualls

Dear Big Sister,

First of all, I need to thank you so much for everything you have done for me this far in my life. I am so proud of you. I don't give you a lot of credit for the things you did that pushed me to be a better person, but I am glad that you did. So thank you, sister.

Sometimes I wish we were little again. I wish we still shared a bathroom and screamed at each other for taking too much time in the mornings. I wish you still french-braided my hair, and sometimes, I even wish that you still picked out my clothes. Thank you for not letting me wear my hair in a ponytail every day. Thank you for teaching me about other clothing options. Thank you for being the loudest fan at my volleyball games. I'm sorry that I didn't fully appreciate you when we were younger. I'm sorry that I pushed your buttons and tattled on you frequently. I'm sorry that I stole your clothes and slept with you until the age of 12 (I swear your bed was more comfortable than mine). And ultimately, I'm sorry that I didn't realize how valuable your time was. I wish I would've spent more time with you.

I am so proud of you for following your heart, for doing what you love. You have always put people before yourself, and you never fail to be a consistent friend, sister, and daughter. I'm proud of you for being tough and for fighting for yourself. I'm proud of you for fighting for yourself and for the people you love. Your future still has a lot in store, and I am rooting for you every single day. I can't wait to stand beside you when you marry the man of your dreams and when I marry mine. I can't wait for our kids to play together, and I can't wait to be the fun Aunt. Most of all, I can't wait to live five minutes from you instead of 26 hours.

Thank you for wrestling with me when I wasn't being the person I needed to be. Thank you for calling me out on my crap and still loving me through it. Thank you for calling me even when I don't call back. Thank you for being there when I have nobody else to turn to. Thank you for being what a big sister should be, even if I never told you that I needed you.

The truth of the matter is that you've been my best friend through it all. You are the one who cares for me effortlessly, and I know that if we weren't family, it'd still feel like we were. We didn't always like each other growing up, and there are days that we will still gripe and complain at each other, but that's what sisters do. Thank you for being mine by chance. Thank you for loving me by choice. I love you so so so much, sister. Thank you for helping me become my best self!

Love,

JQ