Thank You To My 'Older Sister' I Look Up To

We said from day one, we aren’t each other’s best friends, and I think that’s what makes it the best.

1571
Bree Ask

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love my older brother. Yes, we’ve had our fair share of arguments and pestering each other, but since we've grown older, we have truly begun to appreciate each other more and more each day. Living in separate parts of the state and not seeing each other much now makes our visits more important and talks deeper. I couldn’t have asked for a better older brother who protects me, gives me advice and is my best friend. I truly have been blessed by having such a close relationship with him even though we are four years apart. And let me tell ya,' the maturity level is about the same!

I never realized how important older siblings are until I gained another one. This one came flying out of left field when I least expected it. Something I missed out on growing up was the older sister. Yes, my brother will listen to anything, but not everything. There are some things a big sis is good for, like talking about all the cute boys, the new Nike apparel to purchase, and all that random girl stuff.

You came into my life very recently, though it feels like you have been there forever. You’re the one I tell the secrets to that I don’t even tell my best friends, the one that knows way too well how to make me laugh when I need it the most, the one we plan random expensive vacations with that hopefully will turn into a reality, and the one that started this coffee addiction of mine.

You have entered my family as if you have been part of it forever. You have been the big sister that is the role model and advice giver. You have been real with me since day one. Yes, we have times that we drive each other crazy, though we both know it won’t last too long. You’re the one that remembers every little detail about the things going on in my life. You’re the one that puts up with my crazy self, and honestly, I don’t know how you do it. You’re the one that will always be there for me.

We said from day one, we aren’t each other’s best friends, and I think that’s what makes it the best. We are sisters, and you can’t beat a bond like that.

You’re the person that I don’t get sick of talking to, even though we talk about the same stuff over and over again just to get another laugh. I never thought jamming in the car to Taylor Swift and some throwback break up songs would be our choice of music and event for the afternoon, or in one case evening… when we got lost! Without each other we would be on a different planet with our imagination, and not in reality.

So here is my thank you letter to you,

Thank you for letting me be the funny, usually crazy little sister that you put up with. Thank you for letting me learn from your mistakes and experiences. Thank you for making me step out of my comfort zone. Thank you for slightly screaming in public places with a huge hug even though it has only been a week since we’ve seen each other last. Thank you for texting me basically 24/7, and telling me how much you love me just as much as I love you.

Love, Your Little Sister

So as we grow older and our lives change, continue to remember how much I love you and how I will always be by your side. I will always cherish the midnight study meltdowns, waking you up before I leave for the airport when you don’t have pants on, and sitting on your bed eating way too many sugar cookies.

“We weren’t sisters by birth, but we knew from the start…fate brought us together to be sisters at heart.”

I will always be your Squishy!