An Open Letter To My Homesick Friend

An Open Letter To My Homesick Friend

To the girl who just wants to go home

11958
An Open Letter To My Homesick Friend
Pixhome

Dear Friend,

I can’t imagine what you’re feeling when homesickness overcomes you, but I know you feel it deeply. I don’t know how you feel when you miss your boyfriend, but I know you love him a lot. I don’t know how you feel when you miss the city you grew up in, but I know you have so much pride in it.

I don’t know how you feel, because I’m not you. I don’t know what it’s like to be thousands of miles away from the ones you love, and the city you call home. All I know is what I see. I see the look in your eye when you talk about your boyfriend and your hometown. I can see the smile on your face when tell me old stories about high school, summer, and friends. I also know that you miss home dearly, because I’ve seen you cry. Though if I had it my way, you never would. I hate seeing you sad, because I know I can’t do anything to fix it. I can only sit there hoping that you will be okay and knowing that you eventually will be.

I never doubt whether you will be okay or not, because you’re resilient. “I just roll with the punches,” you once told me was your motto. I believe it, girl. You have been rolling with the punches ever since you got to school. When life knocks you down, you get back up. It’s just what you do. You have inspired me to do the same.

You’re not only my homesick friend, but my best friend also. We don’t have the same story, but somehow we ended up at the same school. I can’t remember how we met, but I can’t remember a time when you weren’t here with me. We laugh, we cry, and we dance together. You’re the one who gets my love for food, music, and elephants, because you love all these glorious things too. You’re wild and fun, but also disciplined and strong. A beautiful mix that makes up my best friend.

At the end of the matter, there is one thing that I admire about you more than anything else you’re real. You don’t hide behind walls, like I often do. When you feel sad, you’re not afraid to cry. When you’re mad at someone, you let him/her know. When you’re happy, you dance. When you need to talk, you talk. When I talk to you, you listen. When I’m happy, you dance with me. When I’m mad someone, it’s hard for me to let them know but you understand. When I feel sad, you let me cry even though I’m afraid to. And though I hide behind walls, you break them down.

So here’s to you, my homesick and beautifully real, best friend.

Love always,

Julie