To My High-School Self

To My High-School Self

Relax, you're doing just fine.

5
To My High-School Self
Lakota West Bands

Dear High School Me,

Right now, you're probably feeling lost and confused. You're lonely and scared, and you don't know where your future is going, or if there will even be one at all. I can't go back in time and give you advice from a wiser, old Kelsey, but I can give advice to those currently in high school who feel the same way you felt. Because trust me, you aren't the only one who feels this way.

1. Don't be afraid to try new things.

A lot of things you try won't work out, but some of them will, and you could find something that really makes you happy.

2. Don't be sad that you don't have a lot of friends.

The few ones you have now are so wonderful, and you'll miss them terribly when you go away. Turns out, its okay to like being alone.

3. Seek out help.

If something isn't working, ask for help. You can't do everything on your own, and you are stronger for admitting you need help and asking for it.

4. Don't stop writing!

Seriously, I feel like you have so much more fresh material than I do now.

5. Save money and learn to budget better.

Life after high school is expensive.

6. Don't try to forget and run away from your high school life.

It's okay to move on, but don't be in a hurry to be somewhere else.

7. Don't stress about where you're going to college.

Fate will lead you to where you need to be, and if it doesn't, transferring is not shameful.

8. Don't believe everything a boy tells you.

Know you're worth enough to not tolerate being mistreated.

9. Your family will be just as frustrating now as they will be after you come out.

So just come out!

10. Finally, don't forget to relax.

You're doing just fine.

I haven't figured everything out, and I doubt I ever will, but I'm happy where I am now, and you will be to. Now go out and make the world yours

Much love,

Your future self.