An Open Letter To My First Love

An Open Letter To My First Love

2491
An Open Letter To My First Love
Tumblr

Dear You,

I have unsuccessfully written you this letter in my head numerous times. In the past, I was unable to put into words exactly what I wanted to say. I couldn't find the right words to say nor could I string together the right sentences to voice everything that was left unsaid between you and I.

Initially, my letter to you was bitter, angry, and full of regrets. But with time, I came to terms with myself and the history we shared. Regardless of not ending up together like we once endlessly promised each other, you were a learning experience that taught me so much. And as time continued to pass, the wounds fully healed, and I realized that I owed you a thank you. I will forever cherish the memories we created together.

Although our story wasn't long lived, you made me believe in love, and for that, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart. Prior to meeting you, I found myself lost and confused; I was not content with the life I was living before you came along. After my parents divorced, I gave up the idea of ever falling in love. If my parents, who spent many years together, fell out of love, what chance did I have? You came into my life at a very dark time and brought so much light and joy along with you. You never failed to brighten my day with your free spirit and always painted the biggest smile on my lips with just your presence. You very quickly ignited a fire within my heart and showed me that chivalry is indeed not dead. You provided me with endless laughter and happiness. You made sure to fix all of the broken pieces, you wiped away all of the tears that were shed, and were the most amazing best friend I could have ever asked for. Thank you for providing me with the experience of true love, even though it hurt so badly toward the end.

You believed in me at a time in which I didn't even believe in myself, and for that, I thank you. By your side I felt invincible, and everything felt so much easier on me because of your constant support. You made me feel like I could do just about anything. You always encouraged me to face my fears and to challenge myself. You knew I was worth more than what I thought of myself and never failed to remind me of it. You made me realize that I was worth much more than my past mistakes and taught me that my mistakes did not define me as a person. Thank you for having so much faith in me. You showed me so much love and support during our relationship that I finally began to have faith in myself again.

People sometimes say that "love knows no age," and you truly made me a believer of that. We were young and innocent (some would even call us dumb), but what we both made one another feel was real and no one can ever take that experience from us. Despite constantly hearing that we were too young to be in love, we made it work for the time we spent living in each other's hearts. Thank you for all of the ups and downs, for helping me grow as a person, and for being my first heartbreak. Regardless of how things ended between us, there will always be a special place in my heart for you, first love. I'm sure I will forever miss having you in my life, but not in the needy way. I miss the endless laughter and the joy we once made one another feel.

Thank you for being my first love,

Me