An Open Letter To My Father Who Broke My Heart

"If you were even wondering- I'm doing great and perfectly fine without you. "
4840

Dear Dad,

From the moment I came into this world, you were one of the first people I had contact with. One of the first people to lay their eyes on me and fall in love with everything about me. Growing up, you were my go-to, my everything, my daddy. We did everything and anything possible together. We were a dynamic duo.

But as time went on and I got older, things changed. As I look back, I remember all the things you taught me like how to ride a bike, how to tie my shoes, that I should always stay in school and to never let anyone push me around and to always stand up for yourself. But most importantly, you taught me to not let anyone give me less than I deserve. You always made sure I wasn't going to get hurt by a boy. That was your biggest thing. You were so protective of my heart but did you realize what you did in the end? Were you protecting my heart just so you could be the one to break it?

What I don't understand is why you hurt me; you taught me to never let anyone push me around and not to let anyone give me less than I deserve so why did you do that to me? Why did you leave me and throw away everything we had? Why did you hurt me like this? All the things you taught me I still remember today, but I am still stuck on how you hurt me. You were supposed to be my best friend, my daddy, my everything, and you were never supposed to hurt me. You destroyed me, and yet because of you, I am the person I am today. If it wasn't for you I wouldn't know that you can't just trust anyone — no matter how long you've known the person.

What I can say is thank you. Thank you for showing me that although it is hard to not let people push me around and not let people give me less than I deserve, it is possible to get over the pain. Thank you for showing me I can't trust most men because the one man who always promised to be there and would never leave my side left me — flat out left me like I mean nothing. Thank you for showing me that I can't trust people no matter how long I've known them and to always keep my guard up, because you never know who is going to hurt you. But most importantly, thank you for showing me how to live my life without you.

If you were even wondering — I'm doing great and perfectly fine without you.