An Open Letter To My High School Best Friend

With the end of the year coming fast, there's always a much needed thanks to the friend that got you through it.
406

As another school year dwindles down to the end, I begin to think of all of the things I've accomplished over the year. Some of the things I have done, I have found myself proud of, and others, not so much. But as I look back, I look back to my friend who was by my side through everything. Although you may or may not be a part of my life now, you have impacted my life for the better which has helped me become the person I am today.

Back years ago, we walked into the halls of our high school as freshmen. It was awkward, I will admit, and I'm sure we were just as uncomfortable as all of the freshmen who walk into high school for the first time too. High school at the time was a big deal and we were ready to take in its entirety. From that first day until the day we graduated, we surely made the time worthwhile. Although it did not mean much at the time, it means an immense amount now.

You helped me pick my classes. You helped me decide whether I wanted to go through the misery of chemistry or physics and you helped me decide whether I wanted to take a certain English class that I was interested in opposed to the class that most colleges would look upon as studious. Your assistance in picking my classes helped me decide what I'd possibly want to do with the rest of my life early on and they also helped me figure out that although there's something I would rather do, the option with the better outcome in the end is always the better choice.

You were there when I needed a shoulder to cry on -- you were always by my side when I needed you. Whether I was upset about a family issue, failing a test I needed to pass, or simply boys, you were there to let me vent and overcome my emotions to move on from it. Not only did you do that, but you helped me become stronger in the process by telling me what is best for me and helping me out to succeed in the future. I still live by your advice to this day and it has helped me overcome some of the most stressful things that have happened to me throughout college.

You were there when I needed to laugh -- whether it was watching a funny movie on Netflix or telling me a hilariously awkward thing that just happened to you. Your laughter truly was the best medicine. It made me discover the good and made me have a bit of fun where fun was never expected.

You have been here for me now. Whether it was your wisdom that you told me years ago or the thought of a funny story now, you have helped me discover the good in the situations that have brought me down to my worst. You have helped me discover that no matter what happens to me, I will come out of the situation stronger than I was before. You have taught me that no matter how small I think I am, I will always make a mark on this world. You have been my best friend since high school and although there are some things that occur in high school that are bound to change, this is one of the things that I hope stays.