An Open Letter to Kaepernick's Bold Stand

What the Star Spangled Banner has to do with Kaepernick's protest.

12
Liberty Unyielding

Dear Colin Kaepernick,

This week I heard about how you decided to take a stand against our nation’s injustices by sitting down. Naturally, I was curious as to what the national anthem says about racial oppression. So I took a closer look at the words of “The Star Spangled Banner” to search for the link to your protest.

O say can you see, by the dawn's early light,

Francis Scott Key was an American on board a British Fleet pleading for the release of a friend (presumably unfairly captured) on September 13, 1812. Eight miles away British warships were shooting rockets at American Fort McHenry. Key later described, "It seemed as though mother earth had opened and was vomiting shot and shell in a sheet of fire and brimstone." He watched the battle scene through the night until dawn thinking his countrymen had lost the battle.

What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?

As grim as the battle looked for the Americans, they won and the flag survived.

And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;

As it became dark all Key could see was flashes of red in the sky. By morning he saw that the flag was placed over the fort signifying their victory.

O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

He was in awe that the flag, meant to represent a free and brave country, actually made it through a battle that looked hopeless. It’s as if he was asking, “Is it actually still there? How can it have survived?” It was nothing short of a miracle.

When the Pilgrims came to America it was to create a free country. Throughout our history, our brave men and women have fought to keep it free. When we’ve had injustices, we’ve fought to bring justice and succeeded! In this country slavery was abolished thanks to an accountable system of government our forefathers established. In this country, the civil rights movement brought opportunities for every American to choose their education and career path. In this country, the president doesn’t throw protesters in prison over a difference of opinion (that would be Russia). It seems to me that the national anthem actually represents the fight for freedom and liberty, so to sit it out is to suggest that you don’t intend to do anything to solve our problems.

Since I couldn’t really understand what the “Star Spangled Banner” had to do with inequality, I looked at your statement.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

So what you’re saying is that we have adversity in our country? Well, when I revisit the words to the “Star Spangled Banner” I think, “This is a song about overcoming a fierce battle.” So, I fail to see how sitting it out makes a statement on overcoming problems.

I’m also curious as to how our country “oppresses people of color.” I understand that many hold the belief that racism still exists today. I won’t disagree with that because in our fallen world sin still exists. I will however disagree that our country oppresses people. Under our laws, the oppression is illegal. The laws of our land suggest that all men are created equal. Schools and businesses are not segregated any more (unless people within the community segregate themselves by choice). The idea that there are “people getting paid leave and getting away with murder” is a speculative one that can be addressed in the court of law. If the legal system isn’t working, get involved in making it work (you can do that in a free country).

This reminds me of a student I had a few years ago who wanted to sit during the pledge of allegiance because she didn’t agree with it. I thought to myself, “You’re an American, what don’t you agree with?” In the pledge we say,

“…and to the Republic for which it stands; one nation; under God; indivisible; with liberty and justice for all.”

Why would anyone who thinks our country is unfair want to protest “liberty and justice for ALL?” The short answer is, “because they are angry and ignorant.” Now since you are an NFL star, Mr. Kaepernick, your words and actions speak volumes to teenagers around this country you refuse to take pride in. When hundreds of teenagers sit apathetically during the pledge or national anthem at schools and sports events will you be proud of your influence? Will you be glad that you’ve encouraged the anger toward government and law enforcement while offering no solutions?

So Mr. Kaepernick, rather than sitting down to make a statement, why don’t you take a stand? I think Dallas Police Chief David Brown put it well when he said, “We are hiring. Get out of that protest line and put an application in.” From what I hear about how football is working out for you, you should consider it.