An Open Letter To Colin Kaepernick

An Open Letter To Colin Kaepernick

Stand up for what you believe in but don't sit down during the national anthem

14
An Open Letter To Colin Kaepernick
Sfchronicle.com

Dear Colin Kaepernick,

I learned at a young age that when the national anthem is playing, especially at an athletic event, you stand up and remove your hat while the anthem is playing. I am also a huge sports fan, along with being patriotic, and when I heard about your protest last week, I had to read all of the articles about why you did what you did. I really didn't know what to think at first because I've never seen anyone in my lifetime do what you did. We live in this great country where we have all of these freedoms and amendments that protect those freedoms, as well as the soldiers that are fighting for our rights. While I agree with why you protested, I don't think it was the right way to go about it.

We live in a world and a country where things are constantly going on. This past summer was probably one of the craziest summers with everything that happened in the media from the Alton Sterling shooting to the Dallas Police shooting. I understand that you are frustrated, but to take it out on the country as a whole is a bit much. The majority of the people and officers that live in this country are good people and follow the laws. The police are going to protect athletes and regular everyday people. If there is a criminal trying to hurt someone or they are doing something wrong, the police officers will do everything they can to stop the individual no matter what their race is.

I personally have friends and family that have served or are still serving this country in order to protect all of our rights, including your right to protest. I think that sitting down during the national anthem was the wrong thing to do. Not only is it sacred, but what you did is as bad as stepping on the flag or burning the flag. I get chills before every sporting event when the national anthem is playing, mostly because I know men and women sacrifice their lives day in and day out.

Many people across the country, including former NFL players, have chimed in on what you did. Jerry Rice said, "All lives matter. So much going on in this world today. Can we all get along! Colin,I respect your stance but don't disrespect the Flag." Colin, we live in a world where some people are good and others are bad, but that's life and that's nothing that anyone can control.

There are talks about you possibly being cut by the San Francisco 49ers and I honestly don't know if it's because of what you did or just that you have been playing poorly. If they cut you because of what you did, then that may cause an even bigger debate. However, it's their right to cut you just like it's your right to sit down during the national anthem. If you keep sitting, you may not have a job much longer.

You make more money than most people ever think of making in their entire lives because you are a professional athlete. Kids look up to you as a role model and because of your actions, you are telling kids it's okay for them to sit down during the national anthem. Be a true professional and stand up next time.

Sincerely,

A patriotic sports fan