An Open Letter To Anyone Who Has A Chance To Travel Alone

Go.

12
Sarah Brooks

For as long as I can remember, traveling internationally has been on my bucket list.

This fall, I was able to fulfill that goal by traveling to London, England.

I took a week and a half off work to go on my adventures abroad. I had layovers in four different states on my travels to and from Gatwick Airport in London. My Airbnb was located in central London--walking distance from the London Eye, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, and many other well-known landmarks. I took day trips by train to Hastings and Colchester. I wandered the streets of London, visited local markets and shops, and sent postcards home. I minded the gap, doing my best to avoid getting lost on the London underground tube.

There is a quote by Thomas Jefferson that says, "I think one travels more usefully when they travel alone because they reflect more."

My perspective during and after my travels was one that led to self-discovery. Such as the pivotal moment on my trip where I stood on the beach-side pier in Hastings; I was able to dwell in peace and reestablish some balance in my life, after months of stress and hard work preceding my vacation. I was able to independently experience whatever I wanted to, keeping my own schedule, and being free to explore at my leisure.

Even though it’s been a month since I’ve returned from my European journey, I’m still processing all that occurred. There are some days I wish I could be back in London, wandering from my flat to the landmarks I had previously only seen in movies or read about in books. Or I long for the afternoon when I sat on the East Hillside in Hastings, overlooking the picturesque views of the houses and the beach.

When I shared about my travels in England, the most common response I received was one of surprise; people told me they could never have done that alone, or that I was brave to be traveling by myself.

I didn’t think I was brave. I was just following through with one of my goals.

But maybe I was brave. I went out of my comfort zone, planned my path, set my intentions, and travelled halfway around the world. I was willing to spend a week with myself, with my thoughts, following my instincts. And it was an enlightening, eye-opening experience.

So if you are ever able to travel alone, seize the opportunity. Go. Explore. Be brave. Learn about yourself. Reflect on life. Be open to new experiences. And when you get home, start planning for the next adventure.