An Open Letter To Animal Abusers

An Open Letter To Animal Abusers

It's time for animal cruelty to end.

1257
An Open Letter To Animal Abusers
Katharine Lindskog

How? I have always pondered the answer to this simple question.

I have always been an animal person. From the time I was born, I have been surrounded by numerous pets. Fish, frogs, snakes, birds, turtles, bunnies, hamsters, sugar gliders, cats, and dogs are just some of the pets I had the privilege of caring for in my 20 years. I have never lived in a home that was completely free of pets.

I never looked at animals as if they were merely a “thing” that I had to care for. I never saw their presence as a burden. I believe that caring for an animal was a privilege that I was blessed to have. I considered each animal as a part of the family. I learned over time that their lives are short, and I tried to give them the happiest years possible when they were a part of my life.

When I was ten, I received a dog as a present from good ol’ Santa. My sisters and I named him Buddy. Buddy changed my entire outlook on animals, and also drove me to grow a deep hatred for people that abused or mistreated animals intentionally. Buddy, like many dogs, is gentle and kind. He puts his owner’s, or family’s, needs above his own. Anyone who knows me knows how much I value my dog and care for him. Buddy has taught me that animals are truly a part of the family. When he is hurt, we all feel sad, because he means the world to us. He would go to the ends of the earth for me, and I would do the same for him. Everyone should value their pet, and all animals the same way.

It doesn’t take much to develop a genuine relationship with an animal. Dogs idolize their owners and love them more than they love themselves. That is why I cannot comprehend how a human being could purposely inflict pain on an animal that loves them unconditionally. Even after being beaten, that same animal will just yearn for the love of the owner that has just abused them.

If you don’t want an animal, do not get that animal. Because there is nothing worse than bringing an animal home and having them fall in love with you and your family and then suddenly abandoning that animal because you do not have the time or lifestyle that fits their needs. That animal will never understand why the person that they love has deserted them and will always wait for you to return.

So, how does someone look into the eyes of an innocent animal and inflict pain on them? How do they find it amusing, funny, or effective in any way? There is no justification for beating or harming an animal. They are a living and breathing thing and we should all treat them as such.

Love your animals. Love all animals. You are all they have in the world. They may be around for just a few years of your life, but you are their whole life.