An Open Letter To My "Brothers"

An Open Letter To My "Brothers"

Yes, I did just get all sentimental on you.

26
An Open Letter To My "Brothers"
Samantha Rockhill

A while back I wrote an article titled "An Open Letter To The Girls Who've Changed My Life". I think it's about time that I recognize my amazing guy friends, my "brothers", that have been a huge part of my life So here it is:

Hey guys,

Some of you won't like that I'm getting sentimental and others will probably cry when they read this, and both are okay. I just want to thank you for your impact on my life. Thank you for always giving me boy advice. For threatening to beat up people who hurt me because that's how you say "I love you." Thank you for teaching me to throw a football, to play video games, and to laugh at myself.

In the fashion of true brothers you picked on me. You pulled my pigtails and we called each other loser a lot. You teased me about old crushes and laughed when I was clumsy at track practice. You made fun of my horse obsession and the fact that I played the trombone. But you never let anyone else pick on me.

We don't stay in touch as much as I would like, but when we do talk it's like nothing has changed. You will always be my best friend. You got me through that boring science class when we joked about making an explosion with the chemicals. You've watched me cry and didn't run away in terror. You stayed my friend through my awkward blue-hair stage regardless of social status.

Thank you for the endless jokes that I didn't always understand until you explained them. Thank you for coming to my side whenever I said I needed to go on a walk and talk to someone. Thank you for the basketball games, ab workouts, sports study hall goofiness, and life talks in the park. For trusting me enough to see you angry, hurting, and sad. Thank you for giving me tough skin. For teaching me to stand up for myself. And thank you for always telling me I deserve the best.

I love you guys from the bottom of my heart. From my little brother that entered my life last year to the guy whose job it's been to tease me since we were three. You will always be an amazing part of my life and I am incredibly grateful for you.

I'll see you soon.

-Sam

P.S. One of you, you know who you are, needs to take more photos with me.