An Open Letter To My Friends

An Open Letter To My Friends

Friendship is good for the soul.

35303
An Open Letter To My Friends
Tumblr

Dear friends (old, new, ex),

As I've gone through this year, busy as ever, trying to keep my social life up and running, I've been thinking. About all of you, and what you guys mean to me. You see friendship is a wonderful thing and although sometimes it doesn't turn out the way you plan it to, I think there's a reason why certain people are meant to be in each other’s lives.

You all have taught me something, given me something special to hold onto, or just made life more fun. And I can't thank you enough. To me friendship isn't about how many friends you have (and I know this is cliché but it's so true) it's about the ones who are there for you especially when you needed them the most.

Now you shouldn't bash your ex best friends because once upon a time they were there for you just like your best friends today are. They shouldn't be made the bad guys, in my opinion. Yeah you had a falling out, but sometimes time just ends on that friendship and that's okay. But when you look back you can't forget all those times they cheered you up when you were sad, they slept at your house six out of the seven days a week, they ate your food when you weren't looking, they gave you life long memories you won't forget. In some way, they impacted your life. But not just them, all of your other friends have impacted your life in some way too. And that's why I'm writing this, to say thank you.

To my old best friends,

You guys have been there the longest and I certainly wouldn't know what to do without you. You have stuck by my side through the good times and the bad. You have taught me to laugh at myself even when I'm embarrassed, you have taught me the value of trust and you have proven to me that even through the test of time, you will always be there. We share many memories that I can't even begin to list off because this article would be forever long.

Although we have all gone our separate ways, for now, I know no matter what, if I pick up the phone to call you right now you would answer in a heartbeat. I mean, we helped each other survive high school and that was a rough time indeed. We stuck up for each other, went to concerts together, went on summer night car cruises and made each other feel better when we ate the whole pizza by ourselves.

I think college, by far, has been the biggest test on our friendship. It's harder than I imagined to stay in touch with each other. Although hard, I know the minute summer comes again we will pick up right where we left off and it will be like nothing ever changed. We will be friends forever because if we lasted this long, we will last an eternity.

So thank you for always being there for me and sticking by my side. I know I haven't always been the best friend, but I hope to continue to grow in our relationship and I can't wait to see what God has in store for us. Plus, you guys have to be in my wedding, no negotiations!

To my new best friends,

You guys have freshly stepped into my life and I already feel like I've known you forever. It's crazy to think how you can meet someone later on in your life and then after just a of couple weeks you feel like you've been in each other's lives since the beginning. You guys have done a lot for me too.

You have made a really challenging time in my life a memorable experience that I don't think I could have without you. We have shared so many inside jokes (too many to put on here), have given nicknames to all our previous crushes, have failed tests together and have related to what's going on in each other’s lives better than anyone else could. (Not that old best friends couldn't do that, it's just harder to relate to when you're not in the situation).

What makes having you guys around harder is that I know in a couple years we will all be heading in our separate directions because for the most part we are all from different states. But I believe that we share a bond stronger than anything life can throw at us and we will all remain in contact with each other somehow, someway. Maybe one day we will all be brought together again and I feel it will be like nothing has changed. I guess that's what reunions are for anyway!

You guys have taught me more about independence, living each moment to the fullest, being spontaneous, spending that extra dollar because you have a little more freedom than you did living at home (sorry mom and dad) and reliance. We need each other to get through this. You have also shown me the value of a single trip to Walmart or McDonald’s. It becomes like a mini road trip in itself since we are all stuck on campus most of the time. Thank you guys. You have made college a blast. And I can't wait to see where we will be in a couple of years. Probably changing the world or something!

To my ex best friends,

I don't really have these, but I know some people do and if I were to thank them for something it would be for making my life as fun as it could possibly be when they were in it. Most likely you were the one that I would have grown up with since the beginning of life. We would have taken part in being kids, playing with Barbie’s, playing house and using our imaginations to take us on crazy and wacky adventures.

I think friendships as kids are the most powerful out of all the relationships because as a kid you didn't think about if they liked you or if you fit in. You didn't compare yourself to them, you didn't judge them because they were different. You just accepted them for who they were and loved them no matter the circumstances.

We would have grown up together so that meant sticking through each other's awkward and middle school phase. We would have bonded by getting to know each other through each stage of our lives and that's special. The lesson I think ex best friends teach is the value and meaning behind what friendship truly is. Although they aren't there anymore, they should always hold a special place in your heart because they helped shape you somewhat into the person you are today.

So friends, you have all done something different to affect my life in some way. You've taught me valuable life lessons and been by my side when I needed you the most. Like I said before, I can't thank you enough. You are all near and dear to my heart and I honestly don't know what I would do without you. I just want to let you know that I would do anything for each and every one of you. Anything. You guys are God's blessing to me and I thank Him each and every day for you guys. I can't wait to see where we will end up and even if that is miles away, you will always be my best friends.

xoxo,

Me.