An Ode To Friends

An Ode To Friends

Patiently waiting for the day I wake up as Rachel Green...

41
An Ode To Friends
tvseriesfinale.com

It was the best of times, and the worst of times, but six friends took on everything on the 10 seasons of 'Friends' running from 1994-2004. We followed them as they experienced love, loss, changes in career and lives, and the eventual rite of passage in growing up and settling down. I grew up watching it with my parents, albeit I had no idea what was going on- but after rediscovering it, I love it not only for it's nostalgia and sentimentality, but for how cleverly perfect it truly is. Friends is more than a TV show- it's an era that everyone experiences in life, though one can only hope that their life is as colorful as the lives chronicled on Friends. The show never fails to make me smile, and has gotten me through bad days, hard times, and even some tears.

If you haven't watched the show- here's some reasons to watch- because you absolutely should watch.

The Theme Song

Some call it annoying and whiny, I call it iconic. Nothing better describes the relationship that the friends have. Next time you watch, listen to the lyrics- my all time favorites are "when it hasn't been your day, your week, your month, or even your year-- I'll be there for you" I also like to clap along. Try it!

Jennifer Aniston

All the female characters on friends are great but Rachel's character steals the show. Not only because of her great personal growth over the 10 years, but because of her loyalty, her surprising intelligence, at times, and her clothes!

Phoebe

Pretty much everything phoebe says can be applied to life. In a very bizarre way. She has this certain zest for life and unfailing optimism that makes you smile. She makes life look easier than it is.

The Love Stories

I've thought a lot about this, you know, on a psychological level, and basically it comes down to this-

Chandler, though perhaps one of the more emotionally unavailable characters, ends up in a pretty optimal situation. I won't spoil it, but I will say that he shows us that all the happiness and love and success we search for just might be possible.

And then, of course Friends would not even be a show if not for the Ross/Rachel storyline. It makes the show what it is, keeps viewers watching as they change and grow and separate, and above all, gives the producers a chance to give us some of the best plot twists of all time.

WE WERE ON A BREAK.

The Throwback Episodes

On a very special occasion, we venture back to another time in which Rachel had another nose and Monica hadn't "lost the weight." We also see Ross and Chandler in their "band" days, and Monica and Rachel at one of their first college parties.

I mean, it just doesn't get better than this.

Friends managed to encapsulate everything about life in this perfect, slightly hyperbolic way. Watching it feels like coming home, and you can almost imagine that these people are your own friends, though only slightly more attractive.

If you have never watched it before, there's no time like the present.

Just remember-

We were on a break.