An American's Right To Protest

Unless you've spent the last week or so under a rock, it's safe to say we all know that the 2016 Election has come to pass and it is also safe to say that many people are not happy with the results.

Over the past week many protests have broken out in major cities across the United States: from NYC to Portland to Miami and many others people are expressing their dislike of our new president and the ideas that he stands for.

While some people have expressed support of these protests, others have shown disdain, claiming that the protests are stupid and pointless, that everyone protesting is just a "whiny millennial" and that they are wasting their time.

Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion, if you don't agree with the protests or what the protestors stand for that is 100% your right to have and express that opinion. However, I can't help but find that opinion a bit hypocritical, especially when it is coming from the older generations.

It seems like some adults constantly complain about millennials. About how self-centered we are, about how we care about nothing but selfies, Instagram likes and whatever the latest trend is, but then the minute millennials do show an interest in something "important" they are then shamed for that as well. Suddenly they care too much, they're whiny babies, they have no idea what they're talking about, they're wasting their time.

I want to put this disclaimer out there because I know it will be the first things off of a lot of people's lips so I'm just going to say it, I do not condone or support violent protests. I do not think looting, destroying public property or harming others are the way to go about making a statement or create social change.

With that being said, I don't really see what the issue is with people voicing their opinions. Regardless of if you support what these protestors stand for or not, I think that it is amazing that people are coming together: old and young alike to express their opinions and create discussion among American's.

Another thing I think is important to recognize, especially for those that are happy with the outcome of this election, what would you be doing had the results been the opposite? Sometimes putting yourself into the shoes of others can really be helpful. Even if you wouldn't have been protesting if Trump hadn't won, would you be more supportive of those who were?

I'd like to think that no matter what people would support someone's right to protest, but honestly I know that deep down, even if the results had been reversed those who supported Clinton would be calling Trump's supporters dumb for protesting, just as Trump's supporters are doing to Clinton supporters now. And I think this is where we all, as Americans with this amazing right to protest have a lot to learn.

As someone who is part of the supposedly narcissistic and uncaring generation, I think that it is amazing to see so many people taking the time to speak out about the issues that matter to them. At some point, the protests will end, life will go back to business as usual but my hope is that this will have created a spark in many young American's, showing them just how important it is to be involved in the political world around them and the power of voicing their opinions.

So to anyone who has protested during this election period: I'm proud of you for standing up for what you believe in and you have my support.