Does Anyone Truly Want To Be An American In Today's World?

I can't be the only one who has been pondering this with everything that's been happening.

36
www.bizpacreview.com

As of right now, I truly do not want to be considered an American and neither should you. Why may you ask? Because America isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Now, I know we don't live in a utopia where everything is perfect and there aren't problems. But, there are specific instances that occur in America that just shouldn't happen. Until things change and get better, I will not refer to myself as an African-American. Here's why:

1. Brock Turner

This case is what made me reach my breaking point. There's so many factors to this case that just pisses me off. For those who may not know, Brock Turner raped an unconscious woman behind a dumpster and a judge decided to give him six months in a county jail for his crime. Yup, six months and it's been said he most likely will only serve three of those six months. Not only that, but his mugshot wasn't released until a few weeks ago. The rape happened in January 2015. Media outlets were using professional photos of him. Since when is it okay to not release mugshots nor use them in such a serious crime? I took the time and read the victim's personal statement to her attacker. By the time I was finished, I was furious. So furious that I cried and it takes a lot for me to cry. What judge in their right mind would let anyone get off so easily? The girl is scarred for the rest of her life but because prison would have a severe impact on Brock, he gets to serve 6 months when his charges were a minimum of 6 years. But wait, there's more. Corey Batey, an African-American man who played football at Vanderblit was convicted of the same exact crime as Brock. The difference between their sentencings? Cory is facing 15 to 25 years in prison. Do you see where I'm going with this?

2. Donald Trump as the frontrunner for the GOP

Listen. I said this before and I'll say it again. This man can not win the Presidency. In politics, I understand that people have different political standpoints as far as laws and regulations, and that's fine. But, a bigot in office? Really? America has failed me, because there are people actually voting for this man. Trump wants to make America great again. When was it ever great?! When blacks were discriminated against? When Native Americans were slaughtered because of greed and power? He wants to build a border between Mexico. Umm.. he must have forgotten that Mexicans are the hardest working people. The same people who do work at his own companies that he doesn't. The same people who make tacos, fajitas and elote. That damn wall will not be built. He's crazy. He's constantly talking down on Muslims and wanting to ban people from entering this country. I'm sorry but wanting to ban anyone is completely absurd, it's not okay. He is not okay. There is no way I could ever go to a Trump rally even to protest because let me hear anyone yell a racial slur or touch me. I'm going to jail.

Last, but most definitely not least.

3. The constant murders of black people by police

Now, this particular situation angers my whole entire soul. Police officers are getting away with murder. In the cases of Tamir Rice, Mike Brown and Trayvon Martin, just to name a few, those officers did not serve any time. Excuse me? All three of them were unarmed! But it's always the same excuse. The officers "feared" for their lives. The man with the gun feared for his life. Yeahhh.. Okay. Maybe the media should stop portraying blacks as thugs and gangsters, because if you want me to brutally honest, the most dangerous man in America is the White man. They are privileged and get away with the most horrendous crimes. Sandra Bland, and Eric Garner are dead and justice has not been served for any killing done by a police officer who was not punished.

Unfortunately, we are deprived of the most important things to go into a positive route. We need love not hate. Peace and not war. We need unity not separation. We live in a country where white privilege is real and it exists. Where majority of white men are responsible for this country's deadly mass shootings. But, let a Muslim do something similar and they're terrorists. No, this is not the type of country I want to live in and if I offended anyone then you need to reevaluate yourself because everything I've written is facts and the true reality that we live in today.