American Red Cross Month

American Red Cross Month

Help now, and uncover your inner hero.

21
American Red Cross Month
Google Images

There are many awareness causes that take place during the month of March. They are all different and vital to spread knowledge of the issues that need public awareness. One such campaign is by the American Red Cross. Each year, the president proclaims March as American Red Cross Month to create awareness about the organization and what they do. This campaign is also used to generate more volunteers and aid to add to the heroes that already work the American Red Cross.

The organization was founded by Clara Barton on May 21, 1881, in Washington D.C, which is the location of its headquarters. Clara Barton risked her life during the Civil War to bring aid, such as supplies and support, to soldiers on the battlefield. She understood the needs of people who were in distress and knew how to provide help to such people.

This type of aid and assistance is continued by the American Red Cross today. The organization provides 40 percent of the Nation’s blood supply, as well as teaches life-saving techniques to volunteer citizen-rescuers, and is the world leader in international humanitarian aid while also providing domestic support during and after disasters domestically. Volunteers, both groups and individuals, are encouraged to serve their local communities through various activities in times of need. These include giving blood or participating in blood drives, responding to disasters, reconnecting families separated by conflicts and disasters, and teaching health and safety classes just to name a few. However, there is much more that volunteers and the American Red Cross provide to the people of the world.

Each March, not only does the American Red Cross honor its nearly 700,000 volunteers that perform vital services as well as the more than 4 million blood donors who help build the nation’s blood supply, but it also encourages more people to uncover his or her inner hero. Whether it be by a donation, giving blood, taking classes, or volunteering, anyone can become a hero.

Wherever you go, chances are you will find someone who has been touched by the services of the American Red Cross or someone who is a local hero. In May of 2006, the American Red Cross commemorated 125 years of service both national and international. This will be its 137th year as the organization continues its work for many years to come.