My American Horror Story Theory

My American Horror Story Theory

How every season of American Horror Story connected based off of my personal theory.

69
My American Horror Story Theory

The American based thriller television series "American Horror Story" has seen some pretty great success and is now five episodes into its sixth season leaving every audience member waiting with bated breath for the next episode. And after making them somewhat angry with a number of cliffhangers. But the creator and writer of the show, Ryan Murphy, has told us, the fans of the show, that every season, each one with new characters, new setting, and new scares, is connected. Some fans had already guessed this and there are plenty of theories out there as to how each season is connected. I'd like to talk to you all about my theory.

I call it the Obsessive Deadly Sins theory.

By the way: there will be spoilers. Read at your own risk!!

There are three actors that have been in every season of "American Horror Story" so far: Evan Peters, Sarah Paulson, and Lily Rabe. So in total each actor has played six characters in the course of the series. Six characters that each of one thing in common other than their actors.

My theory: each character that one of the above actors portrays: actually the personified version of one of the seven deadly sins.

Let's start off with the characters Evan Peters has portrayed. In the season entitled "Murder House" Peters played the role of Tate Langdon, an eighteen-year-old ghost who had committed a mass shooting in his high school where he killed 15 students. Tate then returned home where he was shot dead in his bedroom by SWAT. In the next season "Asylum" Peters took on the role of Kit Walker, a man trying to live a simple life with his black wife in a time where interracial marriage was illegal, but is accused of being a serial killer and put into Briarcliff asylum where he learns how special he really is. Season three "Coven" Peters is Kyle Spencer, formerly a college student who, after meeting some of the witches of the season, gets killed in a bus wreck only to be brought back by them and become the concierge of the Miss Robichaux's Academy for Exceptional Ladies. Season four's "Freak Show" brought Peters into the role of Jimmy Darling, the lobster boy and protector of all things freaky. In the fifth season "Hotel" the audience meets Peters' character, James March, the former owner of the Hotel Cortez, ghost, and serial killer who takes the actions of his real-life inspiration H.H. Holmes to a whole new level. That leaves the newest season "Roanoke" where Peters is Edward Philippe Mott, an either bisexual or gay, wealthy art lover with severe social anxiety causing him to build a home for himself in what was then a legitimate nowhere, and basically still is in the series. Wondering what these six all have in common? The answer is surprisingly simple: They are not men to cross. As someone who fancies herself a poet I can also say: These are men of wrath. When Tate finally has his mental breakdown he kills fifteen kids at his school, Kit Walker beat a man with a hole punch when he learned that Grace was ill at the Asylum, Kyle Spencer, after being resurrected, proceeds to gain a body count that includes a homeless man who verbally assaulted him and Zoe, Madison Montgomery, and even his own mother who had sexually abused him in the past, Jimmy Darling kills Dandy Mott, who admittedly deserved it, and a Detective who had been investigating the murder of Eudora Tattler, the mother Jimmy's eventual wives Bette and Dot, James March was a serial killer (need I really say more there?), and Edward Mott locked all, but one of his servants in the root cellar after he believed that one of them destroyed all of his artwork, where they would later starve to death or worse (the audience was never given a specific cause of death for the servants), and was prone to slapping the female servants when angered. These are not the kind of men whose wrath you want to invoke, especially upon yourself. Thus Evan Peters characters are all the embodiment of the sin wrath, or, in simpler terms, extreme anger.

Next, we've got Sarah Paulson. In "Murder House" Paulson takes on the role of Billie Dean Howard, a medium hired by Constance Langdon to try and help her son move onto the other side, mentioning she has a reality show that's going to be on the Lifetime network at some point in their conversations. Move onto "Asylum" Paulson plays Lana Winters, a gay journalist who tries to do a story on Bloody Face only to get kidnapped by Sister Jude and forced into staying at the Briarcliff Asylum against her will. In "Coven" Paulson becomes Cordelia Foxx, the idealistic headmistress of a school for witches specifically the descendants of the Salem Witch trials, and eventually becomes the Supreme, a job she takes over from her own mother. Fast forward to "Freak Show" and she plays Bette and Dot Tattler conjoined twins who share everything except personalities and with Bette dreaming of being famous while Dot is the one who actually possesses the talent to make them famous. "Hotel" Sarah Paulson turns into Sally McKenna who is a ghost junkie and successful blogger (of all things, a blogger?!) responsible for two near deaths of two characters and the creator of the Addiction demon that resides within the hotel. Last, but not least Paulson takes on the role of the actress who portrays Shelby Miller in the reenactments of the events at the Mott Farmhouse in "Roanoke". Once again quite a unique cast of characters that ultimately have one thing in common: Pride. Billie taking her pride in her gift/work and using it to get a television deal, Lana with her work as a journalist and plans on writing a tell-all book about what happened to her in the asylum, Cordelia taking pride in her work as headmistress and becoming the new supreme, Bette and Dot with Dot's singing and Bette's desire for fame, Sally's steadfast obsession with Detective John Lowe and that they are meant to be as well as the creator of the Addiction Demon, ending with the actress who probably takes quite amount of pride in the paycheck she gets from reenacting a woman's nightmare. Proving my theory that Sarah Paulson's characters are the personified sin, Pride.

The last of the three actors who have had a role in every season, Lily Rabe. Starting off with season one Rabe portrays Nora Montgomery, the wife of Charles Montgomery and a lavish spender used to the finest things in life. In "Asylum" Rabe becomes Sister Mary Eunice, a nun at Briarcliff who becomes the unfortunate victim of a demonic possession and thus becomes more sly and manipulative of those around her. "Coven" turns Rabe into Misty Day, a swamp-dwelling witch with the power of resurgence and a Stevie Nicks obsession. During "Freak Show" Rabe brings back Sister Mary Eunice in connection to Pepper, a freak and one of the patients in the asylum. In "Hotel" she makes a guest appearance as Aileen Wuornos, a female prostitute turned serial killer who was put to death in Florida and comes to the Hotel Cortez on Devil's Night for a celebration with James March and other serial killers of the past. Lastly in "Roanoke" Rabe takes on the actual role of Shelby Miller during the testimonials. So the connection between these characters: envy. Nora's envy with money, Sister Mary Eunice (at least during the possession) is envy with power, Misty Day is envious of sophistication and the perception of people like Madison and Zoe versus their perception of her, Aileen's envy for the attention of James March at Devil's Night, and the most important one, in my opinion, Shelby's envy of having a child. Shelby had a miscarriage in the past which also revealed that she is unable to have children and due to this she is envious of those with children and those who have the ability to actually have children.

I've explained the sins part of my theory, but I haven't explained the "obsession" part have I? Well in each season of AHS the obsession of one or more of the characters leads to the events that happen in that specific season. These obsessions can allow dark forces to wreak havoc and turn smaller misdeeds into deadly sins. The exact seven deadly sins are Lust, Greed, Pride, Gluttony, Sloth, Wrath, and Envy which thanks to the obsessions in the series take on larger entities over the course of each season.

I guess you could also talk about how my Obsessive Deadly Sins Theory can also indicate how much Americans are obsessed with the morbid and macabre with probably fuel the fire of the deadly sins even more, but I'm going to stick with trying to figure out American Horror Story before I start psychoanalyzing society and its fascinations. Besides it can be nice to pretend for an hour that the real world horrors aren't there while watching AHS.