Amazon Nightgown Dress Looks Like Pajamas

Thanks To Amazon's $30 'Nightgown Dress', People Now Think It's OK To Wear Pajamas In Public

If a flower pot threw up on a piece of shapeless fabric, this dress would be the outcome.

1014

You might have already heard about Amazon's buzzy "nightgown dress" that's currently going viral on Instagram. People have praised the floral midi dress by R.Vivimos for being both 'trendy' and comfy all at the same time - some have gone so far as to call it a "fashion unicorn," saying it's rare to find a dress that "feels as good as it looks." Advocates of the dress promise that, although people are comparing it to a nightgown, it doesn't look in the slightest like something your grandma might wear to bed. But upon first glance, I must wholeheartedly disagree.

First off, the length of this dress is abysmal. Midi dresses (or dresses with hems that hit your mid-calf) should have never been created in the first place. A dress should either be a maxi or a mini, any other length is unflattering on anyone, unless you're a six-foot-tall runway model. This is the kind of dress you wear to break up with your ex, so they feel less bad about losing you.

The floral print of the dress is also a pattern you should probably only wear to bed so nobody sees you, because it kind of resembles what it might look like if a flower pot threw up on a shapeless piece of fabric. It's basically a less-flattering version of a Lilly Pulitzer dress, something that's really hard to come by.

And yes, let's talk about the shape of this dress for a minute, or better its LACK of shape. When I choose a dress I like it to frame my body, not make me look like I HAVE NO BODY. Rather than paying $30 for this day-to-day nightie, I could wear my floral-printed bedroom curtains around town and be done with it.

To be fair, from the 568 reviews the dress has on Amazon it seems like it really is as comfortable as a nightgown, a plethora of customers agree that the 60-percent cotton material of the dress is uber soft. I get that people want to be comfortable in their day-to-day lives, but if we start wearing dresses that look like 50s nightgowns to work and class, where are we going to draw the line? Will men start wearing boxers and a T-shirt to work? Will "business casual" soon turn into the "T-shirt and your favorite pair of sweats" dress code?

Sadly, many people do not share my opinion, because the dress has become so popular that it has its own hashtag on Instagram, #AmazonNightgown, proving that citizens of the United States will do ANYTHING (and I do mean anything) for an excuse to wear pajamas in public.