Deadpool 2: The Introspective Superhero Movie I Love

It’s a f****ing awesome movie.

101
20th Century Fox Studios

When I first saw the first Deadpool 2 trailer last year, I was initially ecstatic, then I became scared, then I was a mixture of both. I really loved the first Deadpool movie, and I was not sure how this one would stack up against it. I have been disappointed by sequel movies before (*cough* Star Wars), and I was not ready for that to happen with Deadpool. To my mild surprise, Deadpool 2 is just as much of a blast as the first one is. Let me tell you why. (PS: I’m sure that anyone who is reading this review at this point in time does not really care about the movie too deeply; so this review is riddled with SPOILERS.)

The reason that I love this Deadpool movie and the first one; they’re introspective. They do it all from having funny opening credits such as “Cinematography: Blind Al”, to Deadpool complaining that the studio would not allow the movie to utilize X-Men who are better than the likes of Colossus or Negasonic Teenage Warhead, to Deadpool blatantly mentioning moments of “heavy foreshadowing” when they appear. There are many, many other smaller examples similar to these which are just too numerous to include in this review. Deadpool, as well as Deadpool 2, are superhero movies that satire the superhero genre, and they work so well in that capacity.

One aspect of the movie that really stood out to me in Deadpool 2 was the soundtrack. Music choice can make or break scenes in movies, and along with Deadpool's introspection, they utilized song choices well. It played Skrillex’s Bangarang(feat. Sirah) right after arguing if dubstep was bad music. It played Cher’s If I Could Turn Back Time when Deadpool goes back in time to correct all his past mistakes. It plays the church-like song, You Can’t Stop this Motherf**** when fighting the gargantuan villain, Juggernaut, at the end of the movie. These song choices really enhanced the comedic and epic feel that Deadpool is best known for.

Another example of the introspection that Deadpool 2 exhibits are the anticlimactic scenes. The movie seems to be centered around “[forming] a super-duper f***ing group”, and then proceeds to kill off almost all of the members of this team almost instantly. The best part is that the audience becomes very pumped-up over this superpowered team with crazy abilities, the team jumps out of a plane with awesome music playing in the background, and then they all die due to high winds they experience when they are trying to parachute down. It makes it even better that this superhero group included actors such as Terry Crews, Bill Skarsgård, and Brad Pitt (with an amazing and surprising cameo) who just end up with maybe five minutes of screentime. Another great, anticlimactic scene was Deadpool’s (sort of) death, which was way overdramatized and stretched out for probably about ten minutes to highlight the ridiculousness of the sacrifice cliché that other superhero movies use in the genre.

Many of the things I found great about the movie was linked to the introspection that it uses, however that does not mean it’s a perfect movie. I did not like the fact that the end-credits are a canon to the story because it makes the movie seem kind of pointless, besides gaining the characters of Josh Brolin and Zazie Beetz’s characters, Cable and Domino respectively. If Deadpool’s girlfriend Vanessa, played by Morena Baccarin, stayed dead then the film would have been more productive. But alas, Deadpool did, in fact, go back in time and actually kill her murderer with that cheese spreading knife.

Overall, I found Deadpool 2 to be a great movie. No, it isn’t anywhere close to Titanic or Jaws. But it isn’t trying to be. It is a goofy movie that is not meant to be taken seriously, and that is exactly why viewers love it. Out of a scale of 10, I would give this movie an 8.5/10 for being creative, fun, and witty. I hope and will pray to Stan Lee that there will be more movies and that Deadpool may one day possibly join the Marvel Cinematic Universe so he can be an a**hole to all the other superheroes.