I Am Not A Rich Girl

I Am Not A Rich Girl

Don't assume everyone has the same advantages that you might have.

37
I Am Not A Rich Girl

Growing up, all of my friends had wealthy families. Even if they did not classify themselves as wealthy, they were automatically richer than my family ever was. We always had what we needed, but my mom did sacrifice to put food on the table. She did whatever she could to make sure I had what I needed, and never put herself before her children. I am grateful everyday for the things she has done to help me become who I am, especially after losing my father.

And the sad fact is, if my father did not pass, I wouldn't have had half the things I had. The money from his death paid for a lot of things- clothes, braces, doctors visits, and even vacations. It's funny how that works.

"Sorry your dad died, but as a consolation, you can take a nice trip to Florida with your best friend!"

I was never a rich girl.

Not throughout middle school, not throughout high school, and definitely not now as a college student. There is nothing more aggravating than having to explain that I cannot go somewhere or do something because of a lack of funds. Most kids just look at me like I have three heads.

"Why don't you just ask to borrow money from your parents?"

How about, no. My mother works very hard to have the things she has, and I will not hinder her with petty bullshit so I can go somewhere/do something that involves money. If I cannot afford to go, I do not go. I have bills that need to be paid, gas that needs to be put in my car, and food so I have something to eat.

I would love to go out every weekend and waste my money, but I do not have income out of my ass to do so. Please try to understand that. This is probably why I don't have many friends at all.

For as long as I can remember, I have been purchasing my own clothes, gas, car insurance, phone bill, etc. I would much rather pay for my own things than have my parent's pay anything of mine. My mom has done her fair share of buying and paying for my things, I would not feel right letting her do so anymore. She lets me live in her house for free. That's plenty.

Growing up with rich friends has both destroyed and helped me. I spent a lot of my days trying to live like they lived. I have accumulated a significant amount of debt trying to live like someone I am not. I never had what they had. I still don't. However, I know the importance of working hard for my money. I know the importance of where my money goes. I will never make that mistake twice.

I may not have a brand new car, Michael Kors bags out the ass, or even brand name clothes. But I am by no means less than you. I am by no means less than anybody.

If your parents help you, by all means, accept the help. But do not assume that everyone has that advantage. If my mother could loan me hundreds of dollars for bullshit, she probably would. But I am glad neither of us are in the situation to do so, because I'd probably be an ungrateful prick.

Don't think twice why someone may not afford to live the same life as you. We are not meant to live down the same path.

We are not the same.