I Am A Millennial And I'm Proud

I Am A Millennial And I'm Proud

We're not dead yet. So we can't be that bad, right?
1418

This will most definitely be a controversial topic, but I feel like this needs to be said.

Today millennials are the most hated generation yet. Perhaps that's just because every generation prior to the one before has something bad to say about them, but I believe that we millennials get the worst commentary on our actions. And I honestly have to disagree with what most of the world has to say about us.

Millennials are great.

It's true. Many people are just so used to seeing the opposite perceived in media that they don’t think any different. There has been so much hate thrown at this generation and it's absolutely crazy. To think that the entirety of our generation acts like those that you only see in the news or other types of social media platforms is absurd. I understand that there are a lot of millennials that act disrespectful and ungrateful, but 90% of the millennials I know have a much different story compared to that in the media.

Millennials aren’t begging off their parents, laying around the house with no job, pretending as if they have no sense of responsibility whatsoever. No, most of the millennials I know are employed, sometimes with more than one job, going to college, and paying bills to help keep a roof over their family’s heads for those that still live with their parents.

The rest of us are just trying to survive. We aren’t lazy. The world and economy is too unstable for that. We are busting our tails trying to make a living while still being able to afford an outrageous amount for education (because you can’t get a REAL job without some sort of degree these days).

And for the way millennials seem to act is wrong too. We often get called disrespectful and “snowflakes.” I’m not saying all millennials are saints. That is far from the truth. We are all capable of mistakes, but it’s a far stretch to blame the entire generation for what a group or community get fame for.

Would you say that all Christians are back-washed and racist because the KKK was a group of “Christians” that also liked to murder and torture the black community? No, you wouldn’t because that is not accurate. Nor should you all assume we are all disrespectful like certain youtubers. *cough Logan Paul cough* So, therefore, you can’t all label us millennials as lazy kids who all still depend on our parents and party all the time.

And most kids act the way they do because that was how they were raised. So then, if that's the case, shouldn't you blame the ones who raised them? Just food for thought.

As for the “snowflake” comment, to that, I ask: What’s wrong with that? What’s wrong with a little sensitivity.

I find nothing wrong with a generation that seems to care about others and their well-being. We learned to care at times when others didn’t. We learned to care for those who had no one to care for. We learned to love those who were different and learned to be accepting of their differences whether or not they inflicted ours.

We are a softer generation and I honestly think that’s what our world needs right now. With all the heartache, don’t you think it’s time to just accept one another and worry about real problems affecting our country? Don’t you think it’s time to come together instead of dividing ourselves? To love one another?

Sensitivity shows that we care and that’s something to take pride in. I know people may hate the political correctness and other sensitive topics, but its just to show respect and acceptance. This is not to say that generations prior to us are not respectful or accepting. Perhaps they were taught another way or maybe it’s just another “tough love” thing.

Or perhaps we are just more vocal with our feelings nowadays. We all feel, but voicing our emotions is what really allows us to connect with other people and to feel normal. Maybe that’s why we are called “snowflakes.”

Other generations may have struggled, but we have our own struggles too. We are trying to survive with an unstable economy and market and we don’t take it out on you as some would suggest.

We have our faults, there's no doubt about that, but instead of blaming us, try realizing that you're not perfect either and throughout all the generations that have come and go, we're not dead yet. So we can't be that bad right?