I Am Going To Be An RA And I Am Proud Of It

Show us a little support.

8
Amber McCarty

This past semester, I decided to apply to be a Resident Advisor (RA) at my college. Everyone told me they thought I'd be good for the job, and I really believed that it was something God was calling me to do. I went into the application process with great excitement and anticipation and to my great delight, I was assigned an RA job in Evans Hall. I could not be more excited for this next adventure I was about to pursue and all of the experiences and lessons that would come with it. However, my delight soon became great fear and also embarrassment as I mentioned the job to more and more people.

Whenever someone asks me when I'm going back to school, I reply, "Aug. 12." People always question why so early and I tell them about the RA job I will be taking up for my sophomore year. And for some odd reason, every single person replies with some snide comment that decreases any confidence I had going into this job. Comments like, "Oh you'rethe one who busts people for drugs and alcohol," "You're gonna be the goodie-two-shoes of the school," "You're going to have your hands full," or "Good luck with that." Rarely do I receive any comment that lifts my spirits and gives me comfort in my position.

And this is what I have to say to all those people...

I am going to be an RA and I am proud of it. This is a job for which I have been preparing my heart for many months. It is going to be a difficult job, yes, and I am going to have to learn a lot and go through intense training. There will be days when I wish I didn't take the job. I will have to bust people for drug and alcohol use and I will be enforcing rules. I will struggle with all the responsibility and feel like giving up.

But I will also be rewarded with all the hard work. I will get to meet new people and create bonds that will last a lifetime. I will be a mentor and someone to look up to for those around me. I will get to be creative and run fun events. I will enforce rules because that's part of my job and I'm OK with that. Rules are rules...someone's gotta enforce them. I will learn so much through all the experiences and from all the people I encounter. And I will have a new family, my hall staff, who will support me through everything.

This job is not all about busting people and enforcing rules, although that is part of the job. Yes, I will be expected to follow the rules to set a good example, but I won't be perfect. I will have a lot of responsibility and that's something I am ready to take on. I know I will struggle with it, but I know I have the support of my family back home, my friends, my residents, and my staff. And yes, thank you for wishing me luck in this job I am about to pursue.

To all of those who have supported me so far and continue to support me...

Thank you.

You are the ones who give me confidence for this job. You are the ones who I know will walk beside me in this journey. As I prepare my heart to go into this job, please continue to support me because that is what will keep me going.

So everyone...stop bashing RAs. They have a difficult job and your negative words do not help. We are here to promote community and show love to every single resident. We have great responsibilities, but these responsibilities lead to great experiences. Ultimately, I know I will come out of this job transformed. I will have the most rewarding memories and the most treasured friendships. Throw a positive word our way and show us some support.

Because I am going to be an RA and I am proud of it.

You should be proud of me too.