Physical Copy Better Than Technology
Technology

Despite Growing Up With Technology, I Will Always Prefer The Physical Copy

I feel as though you lose part of the experience when you're just staring down at your phone.

60

Technology is always expanding. The world around us is always learning, growing and advancing. It seems that as the years go by, more and more things can be done electronically. People are reading books on their phones (or other electronic devices). They're using their calendar apps to keep track of appointments and other reminders.

There is even a fridge made by Samsung that basically has a giant phone on it. The thing is crazy. Every time I see the commercial, my mind is blown over what it can do.

However, despite having all this technology, I will always prefer having the physical copy of something. I want to keep a planner. I want to open it, write in it and check it when people ask me if I'm busy. I don't want to open my phone, even though it would be easier.

I want to go to bookstores and pick out new books. I want to see my collection grow and enjoy turning the pages, watching as I make my way through the story.

I feel as though you lose part of the experience when you're just staring down at your phone. You never have to actually remember anything when it's at the tip of your fingers.

I enjoy having to think or having to actually look something up. There is so much that technology can't give you. You can't feel the paper in your hands. You can't truly look at your work and progress. You don't really live that part of your life.

There are some good aspects of technology. I mean, I certainly use it a fair amount. Social media, music and this article are some examples. If it wasn't for technology, I wouldn't be doing what I love — writing.

I'm not saying that all technology needs to be boycotted. I'm saying that certain pieces of it aren't needed. You shouldn't let it control your whole life.

I know sometimes it can be easier for people to use technology. I just believe that some things are better left off your phone and in your hands.

I suppose part of how I feel has to do with my generation. I was born in 1996. So I remember having to use landlines, phonebooks, planners and things that worked the "old fashioned" way.

I grew up alongside technology's growth. I grew up as the cellphone became a thing — when you had to tap the same number a few times to type one letter. I remember leaving the desktop computer behind and receiving my own laptop.

However, I also remember the joy of when things were real — when I wrote my schoolwork down in a planner or when I would pick out a journal or diary from the school book fair to write in. I remember how excited it would make me feel to have something of my own. It made me feel happy about keeping track of something.

When I was in my senior year of high school, I remember that, for one of my classes, we had to practice writing in cursive. The number of people who struggled with it was a little scary. Sure, mine may look kind of awful, but at least I was able to do it. I actually can't even begin to imagine what it's like now, four years later. Do they still practice it? If so, what does it look like?

Having to physically write something down isn't something done too often anymore.

As I've said before, I feel like you're losing a lot of experiences by just having everything in one place. You lose something while staring at the screen for all your needs.

The physical copy is nice. I personally like holding it in my hands. I like getting to live a little bit in the past, I suppose.

What do you think about where we are with technology? Do you like being able to just put everything on your phone, or like me, do you enjoy having the physical copy of things?