Change the World

The Secret To Changing The World

What's small to you may be huge to someone else.

444
The Secret To Changing The World
Artem Bali from Pexels

There are 7.6 billion people on our planet. 7.6 billion. Let that sink in.

It is estimated that a human has an average number of 50,000 thoughts per day.

Do the math. Carry lots of zeros.

Approximately three hundred eighty trillion thoughts are made each day. One of those thoughts can change the world. And that thought could be yours.

It's intimidating to think that we are a mere speck on this Earth. It's hard to fill the shoes of famous minds such as Steve Jobs or Mark Zuckerberg who single handedly changed the way we live our lives. However, just as anything else in life, it's all about perspective.

You can sit back feeling apathetic about the fact that it is nearly impossible to affect the lives of all 7.6 billion beings on this planet. Or you can strive to change the world for one person. At the end of the day, influencing one person is better than influencing none, and it all adds up.

The second you take a risk and change someone's life for the better, you inspire them to do the same thing for someone else. Changing the world for someone is easy, even though it sounds absolutely terrifying. Again, it's all about perspective.

Let's say you see someone out in public in a coffee shop. They seem down and like their day isn't going as planned. They are nervously searching through their wallet searching for loose change to pay for their order. You generously decide to pay.

Just like that, you just potentially changed the world.

What if that person has been struggling to find work for a few months now and they are down to their last dollars? They have a job interview that day and they really need coffee to be awake for their meeting. You were the pivotal factor that allowed them to succeed that day. To you, your kind thought and action seemed small. To them, you influenced their life for the rest of their days.

I know what you're thinking.

Sophie, you just completely made up that scenario. it's so unlikely to happen.

Alas! You are correct. However, there are 7.6 billion people on this planet. Therefore, there is a pretty high chance that someone out there in the world is living that exact situation. You just don't know it.

That's the secret to changing the world. You won't know when you did it.

It might be upsetting to think that we won't be famous like Zuckerberg or Jobs. It is difficult to grasp the thought that our altruistic thoughts and actions won't make us live a life of luxury. But at the end of the day, if you keep the idea of how influential your thoughts can be to one person salient in your mind, you will always be motivated to be kind to others.

If you don't know the meaning of "paying it forward," it's the idea that you should respond to a kind act by being kind towards someone else. I believe that nothing in life is truly altruistic, because it always feels good to help someone else. That being said, use that as encouragement to strive to change the world for someone.

As one person, it's hard to feel influential in this world. Every day we are reminded about how small we really are on this planet and it can be discouraging. I encourage you to look at the world from a new perspective. Realize that small things can make big changes.

You can make big changes. You can change the world.