"All The Bright Places" By Jennifer Niven: Book Review

"No longer rooted, but gold, flowing. I feel a thousand capacities spring up in me."

641
thecouchreportblog

Winner of the Good Reads Choice Award 2015

Two teenagers, Violet Markey and Theodore Finch, meet on then ledge of the school bell tower. Violet and Finch are each thinking about dying, but what they don't know is that with the help of each other, they will find so many reasons to live. As they wander Indiana together, Violet and Finch learn about life, death, love, and each other.

If you're looking for a young adult novel that explores all the intricacies of life while being both well-written and poignant, look no further than All the Bright Places.

Touching, beautiful, heartbreaking, and haunting, Finch and Violet will follow you around long after you have turned the last page of the book that brings them beautifully to life. — Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Stylistically, Niven’s writing is beautiful and descriptive, though easy to read; this book often felt conversational. It did not distract from the story she was telling, while still succeeding at giving Violet and Finch unique voices.

In her Young Adult debut, Niven creates a story that will have you doubled over in laughter and weeping long after the last turn of the page. She writes characters you will cheer for and makes you believe in the power of love that can transcend death.

At the heart — a big one — of All the Bright Places lies a charming love story about this unlikely and endearing pair of broken teenagers. — The New York Times Book Review

With a film adaptation coming in 2018 starring Elle Fanning, this novel is a wild success. Make sure to grab a copy and catch the story on screen!

All the Bright Places has received:

• GoodReads Choice Award for Best Young Adult Fiction of 2015
  • #1 Kids' Indie Next Book for Winter '14-'15
  • Children's Choice Book Awards Teen Book of the Year
  • SCIBA's Young Adult Book of the Year
  • 2016 Mare di Libri Book Prize for Best YA Book
  • Dioraphte Literature Prize for Best YA Book (translated)
  • Dioraphte Audience Award for Best YA Book
  • A Time Magazine Best Book of the Year
  • An NPR Best Book of the Year
  • A Barnes & Noble Best Book of the Year
  • A Publisher's Weekly Best Book of the Year
  • A YALSA Best Book of the Year
  • A Guardian Best Book of the Year
  • A BuzzFeed Best Book of the Year
  • A New York Public Library Best Book of the Year
  • A Chicago Public Library Best Book of the Year
  • Nominated for the Carnegie Medal
  • Longlisted for the Guardian Children's Fiction Prize
  • 2016 Amelia Elizabeth Walden finalist
  • A YALSA Teens' Top Ten Book of 2016