All By Myself: The Stigma Of Doing Things Alone

I spend a lot of time alone and I shouldn't have to apologize for it

78

We, as human beings, are social beings.

We are inclined to be around people and thrive in community.

However, it baffles me as to why the idea that someone wants to do something alone is bizarre.

I'm a solo-adventurer.

You know that girl you see alone at the movies? Yes, that's me.

Also, the one who eats a full dinner (plus dessert) at a sit-down restaurant by myself, without shame.

Despite the fact that I have a ton of wonderful people in my life, I frequently go on these sorts of outings on all my lonesome.

So what's wrong with me? Certainly there must be, right?

While doing these things alone feels normal to me, I've noticed that others have a harder time warming up to the concept.

Why is it seen as socially unacceptable to do things by yourself? And why is it presumed that people don't want to do things alone?

Well, a lot of people have said to me "I would feel embarrassed" or "I would get bored" being myself. And if that's you, that's totally okay!

I understand that doing something alone can be a vulnerable experience but still I believe that it's an experience worth having.

Multiple human interactions in a day can be exhausting whether we're an introvert or an extrovert.

That is why I think we are entitled to simply not be in the mood to entertain someone with an activity or socialize, in general.

Plus, we all need a little "me" time.

Being alone with your mind, is one of the best things for your soul.

I first learned to appreciate solo adventures during my time in college.

As a flying solo girl I had the freedom to operate my own schedule as quickly as I wanted.

Or I could have all the time in the world if I wanted to soak up an experience.

Which meant I was only influenced by my own experience.

I learned not only to be by myself but to be comfortable being alone with myself.

At first, going out on a solo outing may be intimidating and it does takes a degree of confidence and initiative to do things alone.

However, once you fall into the habit, it's really empowering.