Why Alabama's Abortion Law Is So Absurd

Why Alabama's Abortion Law Is So Absurd

Twelve-year-old incest rape denied abortion, because obviously a 12-year-old is capable of raising a child, but not capable of understanding what an abortion does.
44

On Wednesday, my father told me about an article regarding abortions in Alabama and the legal right minors have without consent from their parents. In 2014, Alabama passed a law basically denying all rights to minors to get an abortion without parental consent. This law states that minors are not of sound mind and cannot make logical decisions regarding a fetus's life.

I call BS. One case specifically brought to light is about a 12-year-old girl that was raped by a family member and then beaten by her mother when news of her pregnancy came about. On the sight, a pro-life bias, it states how she could not understand the impact she was making by getting an abortion. In the article by Life News, it states that the court found, "the victim has the maturity required to understand abortion’s impact...The minor consistently stated that 'she wanted an abortion, that she was too young to care for a child, that she was scared, and that she did not want to have a child.'"

I don't know about you, but this young girl, who already is in the foster care system due to her mother's abuse, understands the consequences of her actions. She was raped by her OWN family member and is literally only 12 years old. She is mature beyond her years to understand her own capabilities and still, she has to live with such a horridly grotesque thing haunting her at such a young age.

A law like this in Alabama basically denies the ruling to be quick, because it is almost entirely up to the judges' feelings on abortions. I feel strongly about this, just due to the fact that an underage girl who was raped, should in no way, be denied the right to an abortion.

People will fight back saying that other people would gladly adopt the children, but why on earth is there such a surplus of children in the foster care system if everyone out there is so willing to adopt. The people who do adopt, or foster children, have some of the most amazing hearts in the world, but there are only so many people willing to take that on.

Now, to back track, the 12-year-old above went through multiple courts appearances to get this over turned. Which, prolongs the abortion, and makes things more difficult. So, instead of putting an unnecessarily long court deal on things like this, I think we can think of some better ways.

Luckily, this law has since been blocked. To weigh in a little more, my view on abortions are simply this, it should be available but you don't have to have one. I do not understand the huge deal with them. People do things "morally or ethically wrong" every single day, and some people don't even care to fight.

So, why do we keep fighting this? If you don't want one, don't get one. But, there are terrible situations that people get into that abortions should be available for them. Maybe, if we all stopped being in everyone's' business things would go much easier.