planning a wedding while in college

A Step-By-Step Guide To Planning Your Walk Down The Aisle AND Across The Stage

The ultimate guide for the engaged who are planning a wedding while in college.

30
@hochzeitsmoment.de/Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvLlzAEH00i/

As if college isn't hard enough, imagine adding planning a wedding to that list of things you'll procrastinate on. If you're like me and got engaged while also in college, the THOUGHT of wedding planning will make you want to cry. But, if I can do it, so can you. Here is a step-by-step guide on planning your wedding while also planning to walk across the stage.

1. Make a budget

Have an idea of how much you can spend. Get your notebook and pen out (colorful pens if you're into that) and write down a list of things you'll have to pay for, even the small details like jewelry, shoes, invitations, save the date cards, etc. Even if you don't have an ~exact~ amount, estimate!

2. Pick a date

Think about when you want to get married. Do you want to get married in a year? Six months? Two years? That's all something you have to think about. Can you afford it now? Is it better to wait awhile?

Even if you can't pinpoint a date, think of a range. Don't forget that seasons (spring, summer, winter, fall) are important as well!

3. Time to find a venue

You can easily start a Google search on venues in your area or near you. Keep in mind that venues have different themes. Some venues are more modern and classic while others can be rustic. Think about what you're looking for and schedule a tour. You'll likely get a print out of their prices and what they do and don't offer. Don't forget to tell them what date you're thinking about (or give them a range of dates) so they can tell you if it's available or not.

4. Pinterest will be your best friend

As if Pinterest wasn't already great enough, trust me when I say that it'll come in handy when you're wedding planning because you'll find EVERYTHING on there. From hair to makeup to nails to dresses to favors, you'll find absolutely everything and can even snag a few ideas.

It can be a little overwhelming, though, so be careful.

5. Search for your vendors

Now, depending on your venue, you may have to find your own vendors. Luckily, my venue was all-inclusive (for the most part), so I didn't have to find many vendors. But, if your venue doesn't, start by finding a photographer and a videographer (if that's what you want). Don't forget that you still need a baker, DJ (if wanted), caterer, florist etc.

6. Who's invited?

Make your guest list! Trust me when I say that it'll be tentative, but it's a good idea to know how many people you're looking at. That'll help when getting quotes from caterers and bakers as well.

(Also, unless you're really close with your sixth cousin, they probably shouldn't be a #1 priority on your guest list...)

7. Will you be my bridesmaid?

Do you know who will be standing by your side? Ask them! DIY bridesmaid proposals are all over Pinterest (see, I told you Pinterest would come in handy).

8. Dress/Tux shopping

Now, if your wedding is 2 years out, you may not need to do this right away, but it's definitely OK to look! Keep in mind that if you're someone whose body weight fluctuates a lot, it probably isn't very wise to buy a dress if your wedding is a long time away. Make an appointment with a bridal shop and bring along your friends/bridal party and have your "Say Yes To The Dress" moment.

9. Let the inspiration flow

Going back to Pinterest for a moment, start getting ideas on how you want your wedding to look INCLUDING the reception. Now is a great time to figure out what colors you want in your wedding. Some people like to coordinate colors with the season, but that's optional!

Think about even the little details like your seat covers, centerpieces, flowers, tablecloths, etc. It will all matter, I promise!

10. DIY EVERYTHING

Well, maybe not everything, but you can get away with DIY'ing a lot of stuff. For example, you can DIY centerpieces for a lot cheaper than what most florists will charge you. DIY'ing is super important when it comes to balling on a budget.

There's a lot that goes into wedding planning, but, I assure you, it can be done even when you have assignments due every single night. And, when your day comes, all of the planning will be worth it. Now get on out there and do the damn thing.