Is Ailee The Asian American Singer We're Looking For?

Why now?

340
Moarpowah

We have all seen Asian singers try to break the music scene here in the states. BoA, Rain, Se7en (yes, that's how he spells his stage name), Psy, SPICA, Wonder Girls (twice), Girls' Generation, CL, and CL's former group 2NE1. They all have tried to make a name for themselves in United States but none of them have found success since the Kim Sisters, who performed on the Ed Sullivan Show 22 times during 1950s and 1960s.

There were few Asian American singers such as John Park who auditioned on shows like American Idol but never won the competition. Many Asian American singers have found their place in music either on YouTube such as Arden Cho, Timothy DeLaGhetto, Jason Chen, Kina Grannis, and David Choi or go underground and work their way up like Dumbfoundead. While there are a handful of artists such as Eric Nam and Clara C who try to use their YouTube platform and break into the music, they end up traveling back to Korea and became big there. Aside, from YouTube and minor exception like Yuna, there is not a lot of Asian American singers who are breaking out in the US music scene.

Until a mysterious artist by the name of A.Leean released a teaser of her debut, "Fall Back."

With no formal announcement or introduction, the internet is freaking out who A.Leean is. Well, call me Scooby because I know who A.Leean is and this isn't her first time releasing music (practically in Korea).

For those who don't know who A.Leean or, if you want to call her by her Korean stage name, this is Ailee

Ailee's, real name is Amy Lee. She's a Korean American singer who is well known in Korea and is referenced as "Korea's Beyonce." She started her music career on YouTube like many Asian American artists. She posts many cover songs of Miley Cyrus, Rihanna, and my personal favorite, Alicia Keys.

She tries her hand on performing on TV by appearing on the Maury Show (of all things) to become a Maury Idol. Let's say she didn't win that title.

After her not-so-successful attempt to break into the industry, Ailee went to South Korea and debuted in her epic ballad song, "Heaven."

Many K-Pop fans fell in love with Ailee and her powerful vocals that when she came with songs like "I Will Show You" and "U & I" everyone already sees her as K-Pop's new superstar.

Yes, the ending wasn't that great but this song. Ugh, so good.

Many singles and awards later, Ailee continues to shine in her latest Korean single featuring Korean music legend and fellow Korean American Yoon Mi Rae, "Home."

So far Ailee is returning to music but she's debuting in the U.S. as A.Leean.

While I am excited for Ailee to return and debut in her home country--New Jersey born!-- this raises questions like

Why A.Leean?

Why Isn't She Using Her Korean Stage Name?

Will This Single Finally Put Her On the Map?

Or Any Asian American Singers?

And most importantly...

Why now?

Since CL ended her US tour and promoting her debut single "Lifted," she hasn't found many attention from audience aside from her fans who already knew her in 2NE1 and her solo works in Korea. Eric Name has released English versions of his Korean singles but never promoted them outside of Korea. Wonder Girls tried, twice. But will Ailee be different? Will she pave the way for Asian singers on the path to success in the states? We'll just have to wait and see. Her debut single "Fall Back" will officially be released on January 27th.