Sometimes People Are Ignorant About My Continent
Student Perspective

Let's Talk About The Crazy Questions People Ask Me

296
https://odysseyimages.s3.amazonaws.com/cropped_BkHBlViMf.jpeg

Ignorance is one of the deadliest attitude or character someone can have. We all have been ignorant about topic or discussion we have engaged in before. I want to rant about being ignorant about other people's culture and not only that, but viewing them less significant. You see in my life I have been asked a lot of dumb questions just because I am African. Sometimes I wonder if people are asking because they are curious and really do not know or if they are trying to be funny. Some questions that people have asked me are "hey you are African… did you live with lions… did you hunt animals with spears… do you click your tongue to communicate with others". Those questions I really cannot answer because I lived in a modernize Africa where I never experienced those things on top of that Africa has changed a lot. Now, those questions could be answered if I had experienced it but I never had. They may still be going on in some parts of Africa and they may have been going on a lot back in the 18th century to the early 19th century. People fail to realize that Africa was colonize and foreigners brought in technology to advance Africa, but in doing so they were doing it to benefit themselves and exploit Africa’s resources. Now let me point out some few things about Africa that people are ignorant about  

• Africa is not a Country, it is a CONTINENT ( Sometimes people really do think Africa is a country)
  • Africa is only full of dark skin people ( Some people do not know that there are Africans that have lighter skin complexion. There are Africans that are pure White. They were born and raised in Africa and are no less African from those that are Black. If you go up North to countries like Libya, Egypt, and Morocco, they look more Middle Eastern, but they are still Africans). Fun Fact, African cultures distinguish themselves on how you look and your skin-tone. 
  • Africa is POOR... This one is the biggest lie of all time. Africa is actually the most wealthiest continent in the WORLD. Is just that the countries in Africa have some of the most corrupted governments who do not know how to go about business. So therefore, we get exploited out of our resources. 
  • This one is probably my favorite ignorant question that people ask. "DO YOU SPEAK AFRICAN" People Africa is a continent once again and not a country. Most countries in Africa actually speak English and there are 1000 languages spoken across Africa. There is no such thing as SPEAKING AFRICAN.
  • I am pretty sure plenty of people that use to live in Africa or are African have been asked this, "Did you live in a hut". Sometimes I just want to slap the demon of ignorance out of people... Every country in Africa has at least some type of Infrastructure for housing and also a lot of houses are much more bigger than most of the Houses in America.