To The Student Considering Changing Your Major, It's OK To Change Your Mind

When we get to college, we think we have it all figured out. Exactly what classes we're going to be taking. What clubs we're going to join. What image we are going to create for ourselves - It's a whole new world.

But then things start to change. Whether it be during our freshman year, sophomore year, or sometimes even later, we begin to question if what we are doing is really what we want to do.

We begin to panic. Were we wrong all along? What changed? Is this just a phase?

If you take any piece of advice from this, know this: it's okay to change your mind.

It's okay to change paths. It's okay to drop classes and pick new ones. It's okay to add a minor. It's okay to drop a minor. It's okay to change majors, even if you thought you had it figured out.

College offers so many different fields of study than high school. Allow yourself to explore some of these areas that you may not have had the opportunity to try in high school. Who knows? One of these areas of study may be better suited for you than the one you had your mind set on when you graduated high school.

Just because you thought you had things figured out, nobody is going to judge you for changing your mind. It's your choice - things happen.

I know from experience. I had my heart set on majoring in graphic design, and I thought I knew exactly what I wanted to do after college. However, during my freshman year, I quickly started to notice my interests shifting to business and communications. AT first, I tried to bury it underneath the surface. I kept going along with my graphic design classes until eventually, my grades dropped in those courses. At that point, I knew it was time to change my major to one I enjoyed much more.

And let me tell you, it was one of the best choices I have made.