Advice To Second Semester College Freshmen

As told by "Shameless"

484
huffingtonpost

Yay you made it through your first semester of college. Exciting stuff. But of course, second semester is just around the corner. You might think you are practically an expert after first semester, but there will always be more advice you'll want to hear. Here are some tips to help you get through the next few months!

1. Be careful what you wish for

Heading back to the independent college lifestyle is so exciting, but as you wish to return to campus and your friends, keep in mind you're also heading back to gross dining hall food and hours of class and homework...

2. Don't go broke

Last semester you probably spent more than you could afford. But hey, it's a new year and a new semester and now you know that budgeting is key. So, spend wisely.

3. Don't be afraid to move on

You might've been friends with or known some people you didn't like first semester. Now you know to simply avoid anyone you don't want to talk to.

4. Frat guys

I'm not saying every frat guy is bad, but if they're chugging a beer at a party and they ask to dance or ask for your name...they usually want just one thing.

5. Familiar faces

After first semester you probably have a good understanding of who hangs out with who. Of course you don't see everyone, but there will be people you will recognize more so than first semester.

6. You will have mental breakdowns

Personally, I haven't had much of these first semester. As college students, we stress over stupid stuff here and there...but you'll make it through.

7. The weekends are the best

After a long week of work and class, it feels great to go out and take your mind off of everything.

8. Outfits

Now that you've been out first semester, you have an idea of what and what not to wear...well hopefully. If you don't, don't stress- just ask a friend for advice or to borrow something in their closet.

9. Hoard hoard hoard

I learned first semester that a key to saving money is hoarding. So ignore the strangers judging you for grabbing 50 plastic forks/spoons/knives and napkins at your on-campus Starbucks. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

10. Do your own thing

Don't listen to your parents or friends if they're giving you bad advice. You're growing up and it's okay if you make mistakes. In the end, you're in charge of your future and your own decisions.

11. Work hard, play hard

Hopefully after first semester you realized you either worked hard or you played harder. Maybe second semester you can find a balance and fix your mistakes and that GPA...

12. Be positive

Whatever mistakes you made or the things you didn't accomplish first semester, don't matter as much now. Don't be down on yourself. Try to look at second semester as a fresh start, another starting point to grow more. Don't limit yourself or give up. Just have an open mind and don't think you can't accomplish everything you want to, even if first semester didn't go the way you wanted.

All in all, good luck to everyone second semester! I'll leave you with this relevant gif of Carl Gallagher.