Advice For My Younger Sisters

10 Pieces Of Advice For My Kid Sisters Before They Turn 20

Or, what I wish an older sister would have told me.

143
Anna Hernandez-Buces

In a few short months, I become an adult. Namely, I turn 20 years old. I suppose in the eyes of the law, I've been an adult since 18, but let's be real: it's darn hard to feel like a real adult when you can't drive yourself to school and you spend most of your time in a frumpy, nun-like uniform. So because of this, I have decided that my adulthood begins at 20; it sounds much more believable than 18.

While I only have a few months, my younger sisters have years. They're still young enough that their uniforms look cute (and they don't look like Puritans), and they're barely past the age where they will willingly do anything I say.

So taking full advantage of this, here are 10 pieces of advice for you two before you turn 20.

1. Drink more water

Anna Hernandez-Buces

Basic, but still important. And before you ask: no, iced tea is not the same as water.

2. Wash your face!!

Anna Hernandez-Buces

It is never too early to start scrubbing your face clean in the mornings. And with the amount of makeup y'all wear for dance, you should already be washing twice a day. Get a good face wash and get to it, trust me.

4. Climbing trees is totally ladylike

Anna Hernandez-Buces

When I was your age, climbing trees was the only "athletic thing" I would ever do. Mama would tell me to stop reading and go outside and play so I'd take my book, climb a tree, and sit and read. So I am fully in support of you putting your laptops down and climbing a few trees. If you get good at it, you'll learn how to do it in a dress, and let me tell you: people treat me like Wonder Woman when I do that.

3. Find someone who treats you like the Wonder Women you are

Anna Hernandez-Buces

Whoever you fall in love with is already the luckiest person in the world because you've deigned to give them your attention. But make sure they deserve it, girls. You totally awesome girls deserve to date someone who treats you with kindness and respect. And also they must know that you are in charge because you're both basically Wonder Woman.

5. Take more naps

Anna Hernandez-Buces

Look, I know naps right now seem like punishments, but in a few years? Naps are going to be your reward for writing your name on a piece of paper. Sleep long and enjoy it.

6. You don't owe anything to anybody

Anna Hernandez-Buces

Unless it's money, then pay people back. Don't be that person. But seriously, don't let anyone pressure you into doing anything by saying you owe them; you don't.

7. Learn to face your fears

Anna Hernandez-Buces

...without almost throwing up on me during a rollercoaster ride (again). I mean, I'll understand, but I won't exactly be thrilled you know? But still, get out of your comfort zones every once in a while; go on a roller coaster, eat some cheese, do some scary things like that every once in a while.

8. You don't have to do anything you don't want to do.

Anna Hernandez-Buces

On the other hand, comfort zones exist for a reason. You don't have to go anywhere, hang out with anyone, major in anything that you don't want. Like Marie Kondo says, "Does it spark joy?" If it makes you happy, do it. It it makes you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, stay clear.

9. Remember how much I love you

Anna Hernandez-Buces

We might yell and fight with each other, but there are times we get along. And know that whether we're fighting or acting like best friends, I love you always.

10. WASH YOUR FACE!!

Anna Hernandez-Buces

I yell because I love you. If there's only one thing you'll remember from this article, let it be this!

I could probably write a whole book on everything I think you should know before you hit the big 2-0, so let's call this a sneak peek of that book. And don't worry, I'm sure in the next three months I'll think of more to share. So keep these things in mind, girls, (please wash your faces, you'll thank me later) but don't worry about growing up. You have ages until you turn 20, so enjoy the time you have now.

Love you always,

Banana