Advice To Give Your Younger Sibling Before They Begin Their Freshman Year

A few helpful tips to get you through your first year.

316

I can proudly say that I have successfully survived two years of college. As the eldest sibling, I had the questionable upper hand of entering college blind, with no advice in regards to what to expect. As an incoming junior now, I can credibly say college is quite the experience— truly indescribable. Though I have tried from time to time to explain what college life is like to my younger siblings, they truly won't understand until they experience it themselves.

With high school graduation approaching, most of us older siblings are eager for our little graduates to begin their college journey. At the same time, we’re all a little nervous to sit back and watch them endeavor into this new college world, especially since we all know we cannot tamper with the decisions they choose to make in the effort to let them create their own identities. But in case you little newbies are in need of a little direction here are a few helpful tips.

1. You are never alone

College is indeed a time to discover who you are and who you want to be, but that doesn’t mean you have to do it alone. Contrary to what you may think, everyone is experiencing the same things you are. Whether it is heartbreak, failed tests, or hungover mornings, there is someone going through it.

2. You don’t have to operate according to plan

Your freshman year is all about evaluating your likes and dislikes. It is a time to explore all the future careers you could potentially pursue. Don’t feel as though you need to have a set plan as soon as you begin.

3. Go to class

Among the many things I have learned in college, one of the most vital of them is attending class. The majority of the time, attendance is imperative to your grade. But even if it is not, it’s an easy way of obtaining potential perks that absent students may not receive.

4. Get involved

I would definitely say involvement on campus is essential to a successful four years. You could choose to be an active member of a club, participate in a sport, or join Greek life. You could even choose to join all three. Becoming an active member outside the classroom evokes a sense of individuality and accomplishment. You never know what connections or friends you’re bound to make.

5. Make connections

There are so many opportunities awaiting you in college, but you have to go get them. More importantly, you have to want to go get them. Be outgoing—apply for internships, get a job, and seek out professors. Utilizing these connections will help build a successful future for yourself.

6. Do not expect a relationship

A lot of people have this vision of college as the place you meet your significant other and live happily ever after. Although this scenario is occasionally true, the majority of the time it is not. But that is not an unfortunate thing. Focus on loving yourself. College is one of the rare opportunities you get to devote to creating a better version of yourself.

7. Take care of yourself

Everyone dreads the “freshman 15.” Let me tell you, it’s a real thing. Countless nights of binge drinking and late night snacking will take an inevitable toll on your body. In efforts to avoid this, try to work out every now and then, whether it be taking a stroll through campus or taking classes at the gym. Take care of your body; you’re going to need it for a while.

College is one of the most unique experiences that will fly by with a blink of an eye. So, to all you newbies, I wish you the best of luck.