Advice For The Anxious Girl Going Through Recruitment

Stressing won't help you join a sorority, so here is how to ease your nerves.

39
Julia Bauer

Recruitment. This word brings excitement, but it also makes your heart start racing and the possibility of a panic attack increases dramatically. You can’t wait to get to college, join a sorority and start living what people call “the best four years of your life,” but every time you think about the process of actually getting into a sorority, you immediately feel your stomach turn over. Having anxiety about something you have been waiting to happen for a long time is not what you want, but I’m here to tell you that it’s ok, and you’re not alone. The thought of having to talk to beautiful, outgoing girls for hours on end, while they judge your every move and decide whether or not you will join their sorority is terrifying, but I promise that you will make it through alive, and you’ll look back asking yourself why you were so nervous. I can say this because I have been there. I was that girl that was so excited for recruitment, to finally join a sorority, but that feeling of nausea would come over me every time I thought about it. I made it through, and so will you. So here is my advice for the anxious girl that is going through recruitment.

The sorority girls are just as nervous as you. Now that I am on this side of recruitment, the side where I talk to girls and help decide whether or not they join the sorority, I can promise you that the girls you talk to are just as nervous as you are, if not more! “There’s no way,” you might be thinking, but I’m not lying here. We prepare for weeks, trying to make sure you have the best experience at our house and trying to show you everything we can to help you learn about our sisterhood, and we only have 15-60 minutes to show you who we are. We want you to like us just as much as you want us to like you, and we also know that we are the ones that have to create conversation and ask the questions.

Your outfit will not determine your future. Trust me, being the fashion-obsessed person I am, I understand how important an outfit is. It tells the world who you are and you want it to be perfect, especially since first impressions are crucial during recruitment. However, I can honestly say that I don’t remember a single thing any girl who ever walked through the door during the past two years I have rushed wore. I’m serious. Sure, if you have on a gorgeous dress, the girl talking to you will comment on it, but I can guarantee that the second you walk out the door, the only thing she will remember is your personality and not your outfit. So when picking out your outfits for each round of recruitment, pick something pretty that reflects your style, but don’t spend hours over analyzing every pleat and crease.

The weather is unpredictable, so be prepared. “Oh great, another thing to worry about.” I bet that’s what you just thought, right? It’s ok though, because I’m here to make sure you are prepared so that you don’t have to worry about it. Buy a large tote bag. No, it doesn’t have to be designer or the latest trend because no one rushing you will see it. Your bag will stay outside while you are inside, so seriously just buy a tote bag from Target or something. Then, put the following inside: umbrella, flip flops, hair brush, mini fan, oil blotters, powder foundation, body spray, granola bar and water. Now you have everything you need whether it is raining, humid, windy or unbearably hot. If you’re wearing wedges or heels, throw on the flip flops while walking/running between houses (trust me, your feet will thank you later), and while the sororities will provide refreshments outside, you may not have enough time, so it is good to have a snack and water bottle with you to recharge between houses. You are now prepared for whatever the weather throws at you, so check that off your to-do list of things to worry about.

Be yourself. As cliché as it sounds, it is so incredibly true. I know that everyone has told you this time and time again, but in the end, you want to join a house where the girls are similar to and people you can build lifelong friendships with. If you act like someone you’re not and end up in a house full of girls with the personality you were faking, you will be unhappy for the next four years and that is not something you want. Just be yourself, talk about things you both like and don’t like, don’t be afraid to ask questions and really try to get to know the girls you talk to at each house. Every sorority is different, but each will have some amazing girls that you meet.

If you don’t get asked back to a house you really liked, don’t overanalyze the situation because it won’t change anything. You didn't mess up, you didn't say something wrong and your hair didn't go flat. It just wasn't meant to be. You will end up in the sorority you are meant to be in, and you will be so excited when you run to your new home on bid day. Don’t stress about the small stuff and try to actually enjoy the process. It goes by so fast, and when you look back on recruitment, you’ll wish you could do it all over again, but without stressing this time. So take it from me, a girl who stresses about everything and likes to overanalyze, it’s not worth your time. You are more prepared for recruitment than you think, so relax and enjoy it! Happy recruitment!