'Adulting': I'll Figure It Out One Day

'Adulting': I'll Figure It Out One Day

We all couldn't wait to grow up. What were we thinking?

42
'Adulting': I'll Figure It Out One Day
Tumblr

As a bratty 13-year-old, I remember wanting to grow up so fast; it couldn't come soon enough, I thought. I would argue with my parents, and I thought I knew everything. 16 rolled around, and I got a car. I thought I was invincible and could handle life on my own. 18 came, and I thought I was a big shot. I could buy lottery scratch offs. (What a loser, right?)

At 18, most of us get our first taste of freedom, of being an adult. A lot of us go off to college, which means moving away from home and not having to answer to why you came home so late. It's a great feeling, right? Come and go as we please. Make the grades and they don't ask questions. It is all fun and games—until you realize you are about to graduate college, wishing more than anything time didn't go by so fast. We all wanted to grow up so fast and to take on the world, but now when it is actually our time to, we don't exactly want to anymore. Nor are we prepared to.

20 "fun" hit hard and you are finally a real adult. Because come on, we aren't actually real adults until 21. You realize with this age that there's no turning back, and "adulting" becomes all too real. What happened when we were like 16 and all the early 20-year-olds looked like they were actually being adults and knew what they were doing? They all looked like they had their life put together, didn't they? And here I am, wandering around like a lost puppy trying to figure out how in the world "adulting" looked so easy. I can make 15 different recipes with Ramen. Does that count?

Truth is, I couldn't tell you much about my financial goals, my career statistics, where I will be in the next five years, or where I am going to be moving to after graduation. I can tell you one thing, though, I wished my youth away, and I regret it now. They were right, don't wish it away because one day you'll want it back. Being an adult sometimes is like trying to put together a puzzle without all of the pieces. One day we will find all the pieces to our puzzle and put our lives together. But until then, cheers to wandering around hopelessly trying to figure out how to "adult."