Animal Adoption

Thinking Of Adopting A Pet? You'll Gain A Best Friend.

Adopting my best friend was the best decision I ever made.

23
McCall Donoho

Do you ever wish you had someone to cuddle and watch Netflix with? Or maybe someone to go on a sunset walk with? What about having someone to sneak downstairs with you for a midnight snack? Someone to hug you when you're sad, someone to smile with you when you're happy, someone to do yoga with you whenever you want) ... But then you remember how utterly tired of humanity you have become?! Because that's definitely me.

Don't get me wrong; some people are great. Nonetheless, after spending all day with people in class, and people at work, and keeping up with friends, I'm really not in the mood for more 'people-time'. I have found that quality alone time does me good. Maybe I only say this because I am an introvert, but people are draining! First of all, communication is a doozy. Each party involved in a conversation inadvertently comes with baggage; may that be prejudgments and biases or emotional scaring and sensitivities. I don't mean to say that either are negative, or positive, but rather to point out my observations. This awareness has brought me to the revelation that communication is, indeed, a doozy. The way our society works, we are required to communicate in class, at work, and in our personal lives. Hence requiring us to handle these preconceptions and sensitivities that make each individual unique.

All of this to conclude: coming home to an animal, to which you can talk or rant or cuddle or kiss without any extra complications or confusion, is beyond satisfying. This simple pleasure is one of the many perks of having an animal at home.

Having a pet supplies constant comfort; as well as teaching responsibility and compassion. Domesticated animals can't care for themselves, which means that the owner is needed. This sense of maintaining another life allows for a feeling of importance. The feeling of being needed can improve mental health; helping with anxiety, OCD, and depression.

Depending on the species and breed of the pet, exercise can be necessary. For me, I have to walk or run or play fetch with my dog at least once a day. This provides a schedule of activity for me, as well; which can be very motivating. Even if I don't feel like getting out of bed, I have the responsibility to get up and be active for the sake of my pet. Therefore, my physical health is maintained, partially, because of my pet. My pups personal favorite is something we call yoga-fetch. It's an every morning activity in which my mood is always lifted. Seeing how happy my dog gets from stretching and running after a tennis ball never fails to put a smile on my face.

The responsibilities that accompany owning a pet also require financial awareness. I have to budget each month for heartworm preventative, flea and tick preventative, dog food, dog treats, doggie toothpaste, dog toys, dog accessories; the list goes on and on. Consequently, I have learned to be more financially accountable and mature.

The perks of having a pet don't stop on the human side; the animals life is thus enriched when it has a home and an owner to provide and take care of it. Specifically, if an animal is rescued or adopted, the animals life can be juristically changed. Animals love attention and activity; the smallest things can make an animals whole day. If I get my pup a new toy or bone, he will prance around and play with it for the next week or so. If I spend fifteen extra minutes in the morning playing with my dog in the backyard, he's in a great mood for the rest of the day.