Active Listening

Active Listening

Let's have an open discussion.

45
Active Listening
lookup

Have you ever felt frustrated talking with someone, and you realize they're not listening. We've all been there, a friend, a teacher, a parent. It can feel suffocating especially when you just want to talk. This can lead to a bad mental state by bottling all these emotions can ultimately contribute to ongoing negative thoughts. Now, let's define the topic: What's Active Listening?

Active Listening

Simply, a productive way to have an engaging conversation, particularly with the one you care about. Now, there are several ways to participate in. Start by giving your full attention with your child. Stop the nodding, and the "mhm" we fully know that you are not fully engaged. Instead, start by turning your body fully to whoever you're speaking to. This demonstrates respect to the person because you care about what they're saying. This sparks excitement through body movement allowing an open atmosphere.

Now, don't overthink it. Start by talking about your day, if nothing exciting then discuss things you find interesting. Surely, there will always be something that you are passionate about. Anime, books, grass, animals, no matter do not feel shy talking about things that make you happy.

"Sometimes a child who is upset may not be able to name the emotion she is feeling. Active listening can be a great way to help her." (CDC)

Be attentive. This advice is not limited to parents, but everyone who feel emotionally frustrated. Start mending your relationship by realizing the source of the problem. Furthermore, an open discussion, orally might not be the course for everyone. Everyone walks on their different pace, so find what is your area. This might not take a day, thus it's a journey that will be worthwhile. Repeat back what they're saying but actually understanding what they meant. It makes no difference repeating something back if you do not understand the meaning.

Reflection of words. Is one of the strongest things you can do. Words hold a lot of meaning, don't throw them around if you won't accept the consequences. If everyone feels like this, I hope this can help anyone. Trying is the first step for a productive relationship in the future.